IEMs under $25
Jun 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JK1

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just comparing 6 of my IEMs in the $15-$25 range.

Panasonic RPHJE450-nice bass slam without too much bass and great fit, but not as much midrange detail as the HJE355 or HA-FX40.

Panasonic RP-HJE355-great midrange detail, but not as much bass as the other IEMs listed here. Also a very nice fit.

Meelectronics CW31- nice overall sound, but too much treble. Build quality feels lower than the other IEMs listed here.

JVC HA-FX40- great detail and nice bass, but way too much treble! Build quality also doesn't seem that great.

JVC HA-FX67-Great fit, but seems lacking in midrange detail.

JVC HA-FX101-Way too much bass! Build quality feels cheap. As this is listed as a basshead IEM, I guess I shouldn't complain about way too much bass. The IEM is large and sticks out too much, but not nearly as bad as the JVC HA-FX1X.

Which do I like the best? I seem to be using the RP-HJE450 the most. I do like the RP-HJE355 and HA-FX40 though. I guess these three I might buy again, however I am not so sure that I would buy the other three again. The CW31 mainly bothers me as far as the appearance and feel/build quality and not so much  the sound.

Which IEMs do you suggest in this price range?

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Is the EX10 so good? The specifications of it and its appearance didn't impress me. How would you describe its sound?
The MDR-EX210 seems much more interesting and only a few dollars more.

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 6
I bought the MDR-EX210 recently and have been comparing it to some of my favorite IEMs, especially the JVC HA-FX40 and and Panasonic RP-HJE450. On paper the EX210 looks so nice. 13.5 mm drivers side mounted, 105 db/mw. The HJE450 has 12.5 mm drivers and is 102 db/mw. The EX210 has more bass than the other two, however I would describe the sound overall as thick and slow to respond to the music. In contrast, the other two seem much more responsive, and much faster to respond to the music. With the EX210 it is hard to tell if the detail isn't there, or if it is masked by the bass. On the EX210 female vocals sound too warm. While the EX210 sounds pleasant to listen to, when comparing it to the Panasonic HJE450(I switched back and forth between the two many times), I felt like I was missing plenty of detail with the EX210. Would I buy the EX210 again? I don't know. At $16 on Amazon the EX210 does seem like a good deal, although even at 50% more the Panasonic HJE450 seems like a better deal. I guess at $15 on Amazon the JVC HA-FX40 seems like the best deal of the three. It has great detail and strong bass. The HA-FX40 does seem like it has slightly lower build quality than the Panasonic HJE450, however I guess the lower price compensates for this(Why couldn't JVC charge $5 more and have strain reliefs on the earbuds, a right angle plug, and a more ergonomic shape(like the HJE450 has, which increases comfort and fit).

progress.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 6
My Sony MDR-EX210 has had much more burn in and I am liking it much better. The thickness isn't so extreme, and detail in the sound is starting to emerge. I still think I like the Panasonic RP-HJE450 better than the MDR-EX210, however now I think I might buy the EX210 again. The EX210 has a 13.5 mm driver, while the HJE450 has a 12.5 mm driver. The large drivers in these IEMs really help put power behind the bass, but don't make it sound exaggerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back