IEM's too loud, Attenuator options
Jan 9, 2007 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
So I have been using my Zune with my Westone UM1's for a while now, and get quite annoyed at how loud it is. My volume level is always set to "1". Surprisingly there is no background noise/hiss. Since there's no hiss, it tricks me when the Zune goes back to the default volume of "7" after being reset...not friendly to my ears.
basshead.gif

Anyways, the only answer I have found to this problem so far is an attenuator. I have seen a Koss model with volume control in the mall, a Shure model also with volume control online, and a compact Super.Fi version with no volume control.

Of these options I have seen, the Super.Fi is the most attractive because of its small size. However, I am unclear if it will provide enough volume attenuation.

My questions are:

Will the Super.Fi attenuator lower the volume enough?

Are there other attenuators out there that are better/smaller? (trying to keep rig as portable as possible)

Is there a better solution to my volume issues with the Zune and UM1's?

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 8
The Super.Fi 5 Pro comes with an attenuator (re: the PDF on their web site http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/...er%20Guide.pdf ). I never used it because it lowered the volumn too much for me.

SOUND LEVEL ATTENUATOR
When using your earphones with an unfamiliar or unstable sound system
(airplane, public access ports, etc…) make sure volume is low and is
kept at a moderate level to prevent “break-in” bursts of loud sounds. For
these environments, we recommend use of the sound level attenuator to
aid in buffering unusually high sound output.
To use the sound level attenuator, insert the 1/8 inch input plug at the end
of your earphone cable into the sound level attenuator and then plug the
attenuator into the listening device.
Sound Level Attenuator

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have been using my Zune with my Westone UM1's for a while now, and get quite annoyed at how loud it is. My volume level is always set to "1". Surprisingly there is no background noise/hiss. Since there's no hiss, it tricks me when the Zune goes back to the default volume of "7" after being reset...not friendly to my ears.
basshead.gif

Anyways, the only answer I have found to this problem so far is an attenuator. I have seen a Koss model with volume control in the mall, a Shure model also with volume control online, and a compact Super.Fi version with no volume control.

Of these options I have seen, the Super.Fi is the most attractive because of its small size. However, I am unclear if it will provide enough volume attenuation.

My questions are:

Will the Super.Fi attenuator lower the volume enough?

Are there other attenuators out there that are better/smaller? (trying to keep rig as portable as possible)

Is there a better solution to my volume issues with the Zune and UM1's?

I personally think the Shure level attenuator is a good choice on the market.
You can adjust the attenuation level to whatever you like, and you can bend it so when you are carrying it, so it won't add much length to your DAP like the UE level attenuator do.
I often feel that the UE attenuator would catch into something and break my DAP one day.

As for the UE level attenuator, it only has a constant level of attenuation, and... I think it makes the sound not as good
biggrin.gif
<= Only a personal opinion

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 8
I suggest to stay away from the Super.fi 5 Pro attenuator. The volume will be much lower, but the sound quality goes down the drain.

I guess it was designed to serve as a temporary fix for when you have to deal with bad and loud sources (think of the headphone out you can find on airplanes), where the quality is already so bad that it doesn't really matter if it gets further degraded.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Dummy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest to stay away from the Super.fi 5 Pro attenuator. The volume will be much lower, but the sound quality goes down the drain.

I guess it was designed to serve as a temporary fix for when you have to deal with bad and loud sources (think of the headphone out you can find on airplanes), where the quality is already so bad that it doesn't really matter if it gets further degraded.

Glad to see someone with the same opinion, meaning my ear is ok and can tell the difference
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Another possibility may be to lower the volume of the music!!?? I was thinking of an attenuator until I saw posts referring to "mp3gain" programme. It's free. Most tend to use it to raise volumes or normalise I think. But it can also drop volumes. I believe that it doesnt affect quality. ( Read article saying it just changes the "volume tag/flag" rather than any encoding per se.) I tried it on a couple of albums i'd already ripped from cds. Worked fine ( and pretty quick) Instaed of my new headphone amp having to be at 1 or2 volume setting (on a scale of 10!) -now using 3 or 4. Much better!!

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Does the Zune have a line out? If so, get an amp and use it that way, then you'll have a more precise control over the volume. Not sure if the UM1s benefit much from amping, but it's another option.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 8
On some DAPs with custom EQ, you could use that to bring the overall output down (again, not sure about impact on SQ). This way, initial volume and increments are smaller.

No idea if the Zune has Custom EQ, but I'm guessing it'd be a possible firmware upgrade in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back