IEMs to run with: SoundMagic E30 vs Pioneer se-e721 vs others?
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

phobos04

New Head-Fier
Hi folks!

I was considering getting a new pair of non-bloody-expensive-IEMs to use while running.
I have identified two main contenders in the 40-60 € budget:
- Soundmagic E30;
- Pioneer SE E721.
I'd use them with both a sansa clip + for flac files or the iphone 5 with mp3s/spotify. Genrewise I think I'll listen mainly to rock and EDM.
I already have a pair of yamaha eph-100, which I don't find extremely comfortable, ad I woundn't use them for running/working out. Soundwise I find them a bit on the dark side, so I'm looking for something more neutral/balanced.
I also use a pair of sennheiser momentum (over ear), whose sound signature I preferer, If only they had a bit brighter higher end.

What do you think about those IEMs? Do you have others to suggest?

Thank you all :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank you for your suggestion! I've never heard about them before.
Do you have any experience of running/working out with these IEMs? How do they cope with sweat?Do they stay in place while moving?
Thank you :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Thank you, I have found them on their ebay store. I'm considering trying them as replacements for my yamaha eph100s as my main IEMs, as I'm looking for a sound a little more neutral and with better treble presentation. Returning in topic, from a first look I don't know if they could be good for running from the comfort and stay-in-ear-while-moving perspective.

Here are other alternatives taken from different threads:
- Audio-Technica ATH-CKP500
- Philips SHE3590
- TTPOD T1-E
- Meelectronics M6
What do you people think about them?
Any other suggestion?

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 10
Thank you, I have found them on their ebay store. I'm considering trying them as replacements for my yamaha eph100s as my main IEMs, as I'm looking for a sound a little more neutral and with better treble presentation. Returning in topic, from a first look I don't know if they could be good for running from the comfort and stay-in-ear-while-moving perspective.

Here are other alternatives taken from different threads:
- Audio-Technica ATH-CKP500
- Philips SHE3590
- TTPOD T1-E
- Meelectronics M6
What do you people think about them?
Any other suggestion?

Both of what you have right now are on the dark side, all these other options would have perceivably more upper mids and treble. I like EDM all lot and some alternative rock, and I'll recommend the best for you below in my experience.

In my opinion, those are all very good options. I don't know much about Peter's option, but I read it was pretty balanced overall. The M6, Philips SHE3590, and TTPOD T1-E are all v-shaped in varying degrees. The V signature should lend itself well to any type of running or working out & your specified genres. The worst in SQ out of all of those is the M6, but it's still supposedly good and not super noticeable while running of course. It has ear hooks for it's design; if you want that then that's the one to get right now.

The Philips SHE3590, on the other hand, are extremely lightweight & comfortable and are worn cable down. I do yardwork such as weedeating with them, and rarely run with them too. They might be something to consider & would be good for running with a small shirt clip. The T1-E come with one btw. Plus the SHE3590 are only like $9-15 on Amazon. Super great sound from them, but noticeably less technical and refined than the EPH-100. $9-15 vs. $100-150 though so yeah. That said I honestly like them better still. A little less bass(good thing IMO), less mids(not as good), more treble(good of course).

The Havi B3 Pro 1 need an amp to sound their best, so I don't know if you have one or not. The TTPOD improve with one, but fair much better without than the Havi. Also, the Havi might not have enough bass for your liking and genre preferences. I don't find them too comfortable either like the EPH-100.
The TTPOD T1-E are the best out of that list in my opinion for what you're after, granted I have not heard two of those 4. They are amazing!! and would make for a good replacement of your EPH-100, while not breaking the bank and being a lot cheaper than the EPH-100. Their signature is much more enjoyable to me than the EPHs with their more prominent & sparkly treble(but not overly) and still very impactful bass if the song calls for it. While slightly recessed mids. The big plus is the T1-E is the most comfortable iem I have ever tried. Period. They are ergonomic, comfortable, and they just stay. I don't think I'll ever find a better fit for me. You could even run with them, though I'd use something a bit cheaper like the Philips.

If I were you, I would buy the Philips SHE3590 on Amazon and the TTPOD T1-E from Amazon through Shenzhenaudio. Or on EBay or Penonaudio for a bit cheaper. Some people are having issues of with minimal/no bass on their clear pairs from Penon as a fair warning. That's why I recommended Amazon/Shenzhenaudio if you can. I have ocean blue.

Hope this helps! I don't think you can really be disappointed if you opt for my suggestions. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 10
First of all: thank you! I think you wrote a lot of useful information in a single post.
I don't have a standalone portable amp, but I do have an HRT microstreamer I happen to use with both the iPad 2 or the mac as my primary headphone amp. 
I could use it with the iphone but I never managed to buy the USB adapter for the iPhone 5. I cannot use it with the Sansa Clip+.
I have found the philips for less than 6€ on Amazon. Nice option I Guess. :)
I'm also investigating the Meelectronics M6: I can buy them for around 36€ shipped to Italy, and to be honest I prefer their cable-up wearing system over the philips' cable-down one.
I have also checked for the TTPOD T1 on ebay, and pricewise they are comparable to the M6s.
I have also read a couple of reviews of the Sennheiser PMX 685i. Despite being an headset, they appear to be good for running. How do you compare them to the other options? I could buy them for around 50€.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 10
  First of all: thank you! I think you wrote a lot of useful information in a single post.
I don't have a standalone portable amp, but I do have an HRT microstreamer I happen to use with both the iPad 2 or the mac as my primary headphone amp. 
I could use it with the iphone but I never managed to buy the USB adapter for the iPhone 5. I cannot use it with the Sansa Clip+.
I have found the philips for less than 6€ on Amazon. Nice option I Guess. :)
I'm also investigating the Meelectronics M6: I can buy them for around 36€ shipped to Italy, and to be honest I prefer their cable-up wearing system over the philips' cable-down one.
I have also checked for the TTPOD T1 on ebay, and pricewise they are comparable to the M6s.
I have also read a couple of reviews of the Sennheiser PMX 685i. Despite being an headset, they appear to be good for running. How do you compare them to the other options? I could buy them for around 50€.

You're welcome! Glad to help.
Hmm, oh alright.
Yeah... the SHE3580/90 are a good, solid, cheap option, but if you like cable up & earhook design more, then I would just go for the M6 and skip the SHE for running though they have somewhat better SQ. 
Make sure you are looking at the TTPOD T1-E and not ordinary T1; it's not as good with less bass as well.
I don't know much about the Sennheiser iem/earbuds. Personally I think they make good headphones that I've got a chance to hear, but I'm not sold on their in-ears(haven't heard any either though).
For an EPH replacement with more neutrality and treble: VS. the EPH... The T1-E will be more balanced with a little less quantity of bass, but still quality bass, less forward lower mids that are clear, more forward & brighter upper mids/lower treble, and more perceivable upper treble presence as well.
The Havi take it a step further out of the box before settling some after at least 10-15 hours of burn-in(in my situation). They are quite a bit more bass light than the other two, but it comes out to play kinda with an amp and good tips/seal. The mids are more forward than either of the other two but still a hair crisper and clearer. They are a little brighter and a bit more harsh sounding up top, than the T1-E though it is kinda disappearing as I log more hours. 
T1-E or Havi would both make a great home EPH-100 replacement iems(with a different sound signature) in my opinion as both benefit from an amp, but T1-E can be used more sufficiently on the go without one.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 10
FWIW I REALLY like the new Brainwavz S5 for running. It's 99 bucks and when worn over ears and behind neck (with cable cincher tight) it has zero mircro phonics. It isolates extremely well unless it's very windy where you run and has plenty of bass to make your music fuller while pounding the pavement. It's super well built too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back