IEMs to replace Klipsch X20i
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rpk5000

New Head-Fier
Hi, I recently lost my Klipsch X20is due to a series of unfortunate events :/. I am looking for a replacement, which might be to get a new pair of X20is, but because of the price I thought I would ask for advice.

Budget - I'm fine spending in the range of the X20is, up to ~$200 more if there is a good reason to do so.

Source/Amp - These IEMs would mostly be for portable use, so plugged into a phone (Pixel XL 3). I also frequently listen on a MacBook Pro. I don't carry an amp. The primary thing I am hoping to improve is sound quality without an amp. I felt that on the x20i I really enjoyed the sound, but it was better when plugged into my macbook pro over my phone's usb-c adapter. I suspect that the phone wasn't pushing enough power through the device. I am willing to get a lower end pair of IEMs if that means that it will sound better when listened to through my phone / macbook pro.

How the gear will be used - I use comply tips (the Comfort Ts-100 and Isolation T-100). As I mentioned above in source / amp, I mostly listen through a usb-c adapter attached to my Pixel 3XL, as well as my laptop. I often listen for upwards of 6 hours at a time, so the comfort of the x20is was important to me.

Preferred tonal balance - I really liked the sound of the x20is. I also previously owned x10s.

Preferred music genre(s) - I listen to a good deal of EDM. Sometimes very pop-edm with clear vocals, as well as trip-hop / tribal sounds (think Clozee), and edm with clear notes. I sometimes listen to EDM with decent bass, but generally exhibit a preference for more restrained EDM. Other representative music would include Volo which is more on the pure electronic side.

Past gear experience - X20is, X10, shure SE 425. I liked the how full the Shure sounded even from a phone, but was not a fan of the tips in my ears. I can't remember if I had tried to comply tips with them. Due to the amount of time I spend listening uninterrupted while working (can be ~10 hours on a longer day), I found it to be very important that the IEMs don't become uncomfortable. The weight of the Klipsch helped in that regard I think.

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve? - I would like IEMs that sound as full featured as possible with no amp from my phone and macbook pro. At home I tend to listen on speakers instead of IEMs, so my main use cases are commuting, traveling, and at work.

It is possible that the best IEMs are to rebuy the X20is and that would be fine, but since it is a significant purchase for me I wanted to make sure that it was the right thing.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 10
Have not personally heard the X20i and so don't really know about its signature. That said, I do like the IT04 in this price range and have found it to be overall fairly easy to drive. Might read about it and see what you think. There are lot of other options in this price range, though.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 10
I ordered them last night and they should come tomorrow evening.

I just realized that I also lost the usb-c to 3.5mm adapter that let me plug my headphones into my phone since it was attached to my headphones at the time. I used to use the usb-c adapter that came with my pixel 3.

When I was looking for a replacement on Amazon, I noticed that you can get a usb-c adapter that has a dac built in. Is this something I should get instead? The it04 also has a 2.5 mm output with a 3.5mm adapter - am I better off getting a USB c to 2.5 mm like the one ibasso sells (the dc01?)? Or is it fine to use the 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter and get a usb-c to 3.5mm adapter? Should I prefer to buy the DC01 from ibasso, or is there a better usb-c with dac adapter to get?

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 10
With the Pixel 3, I believe you are going to have to have some kind of a DAC to convert the USB-C output digital signal to analog before that signal arrives at the headphone transducers. I have not personally heard the DC01, but it has been favorably reviewed by some good people. It would appear to be a very good value for the money. Seems like a solid move to me.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi @rpk5000,

Apologies for being late to the discussion.

I own IT 04 & agree with @serman005, you can't go wrong with IT 04 so hope you enjoy it when it arrives...

As a side note, I have heard the X20i extensively in demo & it tempts me every time though given all the options nowadays in IEMs which come with detachable cables, I have to sadly make a hard pass, not to mention a high exchange rate doesn't help.
Aside from that, personally & subjectively, sound is definitely better on IT 04 overall though your mileage will definitely vary.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi, I wanted to follow up after having them for 2 weeks - I really enjoy sound stage. I'll share some of my impressions in case someone else is interested to a comparison to the x20is from someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about compared to most people in this forum :).

They sound very full from my phone - I think it is much easier to notice small details at normal volume compared to the x20i. Female vocals sound excellent, a bit better than male vocals. I find I also notice stereo sound more prominently than with the x20is, not sure why. Electronic music like VOLO / Headphone Activist has clear notes with a lot of depth. I think the bass also sounds a bit more impactful, which really shows up in a mostly hip hop set recorded by a friend of mine who DJs on the weekends.

Comparing the it04 to the x20is when plugged into my macbook I would say that the x20is do have a bit more warmth / brightness, especially in vocals.

I got the Hidizs S1 and have been listening through that, and I also asked for the DC01 adapter for my birthday in a couple weeks (I couldn't find it anywhere that would ship it in a couple days and needed a usb-c adapter for my phone to use them during my commute). It will be interesting to see if I can observe any difference with the dc01 if I do get them as a gift. No problems from my macbook pro as well, though I didn't have as many issues with the x20is there either.

The tips that come with them are very comfortable in my ears, I haven't tried comply tips with them yet as a result. Due to the weight of the IEMs they are probably a little less comfortable than the x20i for long term listening (6 hour+) but I was expecting that.

Thanks for the recommendation serman005 and pbui44!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back