IEMs: The Secret Of The Seal Redux
Jan 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spad

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is a link to a thread I started seven years ago dealing with the seal problem some Ety fans were having. I think it may apply to some current IEM users, especially W3 owners. If highly compliant tips, such as Complys, are inserted at an improper angle the tip may be sufficiently deformed as to cause some of the distortion being reported by Westone users. Short tips can be particularly susceptible to misalignment.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a link to a thread I started seven years ago dealing with the seal problem some Ety fans were having. I think it may apply to some current IEM users, especially W3 owners. If highly compliant tips, such as Complys, are inserted at an improper angle the tip may be sufficiently deformed as to cause some of the distortion being reported by Westone users. Short tips can be particularly susceptible to misalignment.

Quote:

I posted this earlier on HeadWize, but I think it bears repeating here since many Ety newbies seem to struggle with the Ety seal issue.

As most know, much of the initial dissatisfaction with the Etys stems from the inability of some to get that absolutely essential "good seal." After reading the forums, it strikes me that those having problems, including discomfort, probably don't sufficiently understand the anatomy of the ear. For those needing help, here are the steps I recommend to insure a good seal quickly and consistently.

To better understand the ear canal's orientation, do this:

1. Carefully insert a Q-Tip well into the ear canal. Now, remove your hand and look into a mirror. Note the angle of the Q-Tip. It will be something approaching a 45 degree decline. Obviously, the earphone should rest at this angle after insertion.

2. Next, look at the angle at which the cable attaches to the Ety drivers. Note that this angle also approximates 45 degrees. This means that when the earphone is properly inserted, the cable will hang straight down. If not, you have almost surely misaligned the tip which will cause both distortion and discomfort.

Once you understand how they are designed to fit, the rest becomes relatively easy. Like most others, I usually slightly moisten the white tips (which I prefer), but not always. I also don't find pulling the outer ear to be necessary. I simply open my mouth rather wide while inserting them.

After they are inserted, I usually feel pressure within the ear canal. This is easily relieved by holding my nose and blowing gently to equalize the pressure.

Without exaggeration, it takes me about ten seconds to have the Etys up and purring. About a minute after equalizing the pressure, the stuffed-ear feeling goes away. After another five or ten I can forget they are even there. And I have worn them for more than five hours at a stretch without discomfort or fatigue.

IMO, the real key to Ety satisfaction is proper alignment within the ear canal.

Great advice Spad! Solved many problems for me. Specially equating the pressure tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back