IEMs that won't fall out bicycling and sound good, too
Jun 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dongle

Head-Fier
I know you're not "supposed  to" ride a bicycle with IEMs in. I have a motorcycle license; my ability to always be looking ahead and assessing danger visually is well-developed. I can use IEMs on my bicycle.

The issues I'm having:

a) wind noise is heard as air rushes past my ears, so a good seal is important. 

b) Sweat and the jostling of the cable make it so IEMs often slide out of my ears slowly. Constantly having to press them back in hurts after a while.

c) The ability to withstand sweat and light perspiration would be nice. My Sennheiser CX300s died due to sweat.

And finally, sound quality. If I'm going to drop $30-$70 on "sport" IEMs, may as well spend a little extra if they can handle music in an audiophile sort of way. I mostly listen to Podcasts when I'm out cycling so fidelity isn't the most important, but for those times I want to blast some inspiring music, I'd like the option. If I had to pick one range for my IEMs to excel at, I'd pick low-end aka BASS.

Anyone find something they're really happy with?

I had Bose IE2s but returned them because they didn't seal well.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 3
I ride motorcycles and bicycles as well.  In my state(VA) it is illegal to use headphones in both ears while operating a vehicle on a public road.  I use helmet speakers for my motorcycle along with earplugs to block out wind.  I've tried using IEMs and found its ok but music in your head is distracting especially in heavy traffic when a rider needs to be the most aware.  Most motorcyclists won't get in trouble since its hard to see, but cyclists are a bit more obvious if you're wearing IEMs.  Also its what you don't see that will get you in trouble.  And if you're visuals are as good as you say they are then why not couple that in with hearing and you're that more aware of your surroundings.  It only takes one car that you don't hear or see.

Anyway, enough with the sermon.

I've ridden with the Brainwavz M5s and they sound good.  They're generally warmer but not overly bassy.  
You should also try buying some tips and try to get a better seal.  I've also read the Klipsch S4 IEMs are pretty bassy.

Ride safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back