IEM's that sounds like RS1
Feb 20, 2006 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

drlee27

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if this question has been asked before; I am curious which IEM has a sound that would be preferred by fans of the grado RS1.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
I don't know if this question has been asked before; I am curious which IEM has a sound that would be preferred by fans of the grado RS1.

Etymotic ER-4S, I would think...

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 18
I haven't found one yet. Check my sig. Plus I've heard the upcoming shure e500. It's a great iem, but still does not sound like the RS-1. The problem is the RS-1 is tuned to John Grados ears and not a graph. I think you'd have to apply some eq in order to recreate the sound. I'm looking forward to his new streetstyle to have the Grado sound on the go.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 18
Yeah, I agree with iamdone. As I've said before, a Grado in an IEM is the HOLY GRAIL! But none of us have found it yet. Sigh.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
my rs-1's have bass....

Well, so do the Etys. It's just more flat and less impactful...maybe the ER-4P has the additional bass punch you need. I was going off the fact that Ety treble sounded rather similar to the Grados I've tried (not the RS1...SR225 and SR60)

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Well, so do the Etys. It's just more flat and less impactful...maybe the ER-4P has the additional bass punch you need. I was going off the fact that Ety treble sounded rather similar to the Grados I've tried (not the RS1...SR225 and SR60)

I actually agree that the ety have the closest sound as far as the guitars go. They seem to capture that edge that all the other iems seem to smooth over. I guess some could consider it harsh but I like it. I still prefer the ue10 because it's more balanced with better bass impact without an amp. The ety definately need an amp to sound their best.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 18
I think my Westone UM2s with treble boost sound sorta like my RS2s. My roomate has a pair of SF5 Pros and I think they're way too laid back to sound anything like Grados. At least the Westone's have a simmilar sense of immediacy.

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
.... I'm looking forward to his new streetstyle to have the Grado sound on the go.

Anyone knows the price range of the new grado streetstyle phones?

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
Anyone knows the price range of the new grado streetstyle phones?

I think it's supposed to around $50 or so. I'm sure they won't compare to the RS-1, but it's least if they can give rock the some energy, that's more than any iem can do.

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 18
I don't think that you're going to find *any* IEM that "sounds like" a full-sized open headphone, much less an RS-1. The acoustics of the designs are just too different.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 18
I have the RS-1 and I have yet to find an IEM that is close to the same sound. Having said that I am very happy with the way my Etymotic ER-4S sound out of the Dr. Xin SuperMacro-III Version 6 with the Bass Boost on
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev

I thought my E4's, especially with a bit of bass boost, sounded far closer to my RS-1's than any Ety's I've heard. That's not saying I think the E4's sound like the RS-1's because they don't but to my ears they're a heck of a lot closer than Ety's.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 18
Which IEM, then, has a forward presentation, adequate bass, and great for vocal music? Right now I am anticipating the release of the new triple driver IEM such as Shure E5000PTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back