IEMs that sound as good as KSC75s?
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 19
One of the main things that I really liked about my KSC75's was as the airyness of the sound/large soundstage. It felt wide and open.

Unfortunately, if you're looking at IEMs, this quality is very hard to come by (imo).

Is there anything in particular that like about eh KSC75s that you want to see in an IEM?

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 19
I can't imagine that any IEM will have the treble airyness...for any sane amount of money that is. It's simply a different flavor(cans vs. IEM). Just settle for times when you can use KSC75 and other times when you need/want isolation.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 19
Oops, sorry - wrong thread!

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonspanki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything in particular that like about eh KSC75s that you want to see in an IEM?

i just want balanced, clear sound; apparently that's not easy to find in the iem world without spending a fortune. any recommendations?

thanks

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 19
I've spent a good amount of time trying to replicate the KSC75 sound through IEMs:

UE super.fi 5 Pro
Sleek Audio SA6
V-Moda Vibes
Westone 3
Yuin PK1/PK2
[Shure line-up]

Alas, none of them will remind you of the KSC75 sound. If I were to push things to the extreme, I would say that the Yuin PK1/PK2 would replicate the sound the best, but they are earbuds, and they have no snap with the drums; a glaring omission that I immediately noticed and was distracted by from then on.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffpants24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any iem's out there that can be considered the ksc75's of the iem world? i just want some good sound with isolation at a good price.

thanks

Don't we all my brotha

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

are there any iem's out there that can be considered the ksc75's of the iem world? i just want some good sound with isolation at a good price.

thanks

What is your max budget?

Do you favor bass?? treble??

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your max budget?

Do you favor bass?? treble??

i was hoping to spend somewhere around $50, maybe a little more.

i favor clarity and balance
wink.gif

i spend a lot of time around audio equipment (home, car, and live), so i know what good, balanced music is supposed to sound like. what about those er6i iem's - aren't they designed to match the ipod's sound characteristics?

thanks

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

i was hoping to spend somewhere around $50, maybe a little more.

i favor clarity and balance
wink.gif

i spend a lot of time around audio equipment (home car, and live), so i know what good, balanced music is supposed to sound like. what about those er6i iem's - aren't they designed to match the ipod's sound characteristics?

thanks

I have ER6 which have less bass I believe and are less efficient. I think they sound very good for the price. I'm not an IEM nut so I've only heard a few around $50 or a little more. The ER6 is a bit more cost but is also the only "cheap" IEM that I'll admit owning. I once owned the Shure E4Pro @ $200 which I liked less than ER6...better treble detail for ER6 but better mids & bass for E4).

They do sound clear but don't have a lot of bass although they handle EQ decently. I use mine almost every night for sleeping at very low volume using EQ for a "loudness" effect.

...other ideas please?? -at least we know your budget.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do sound clear but don't have a lot of bass although they handle EQ decently. I use mine almost every night for sleeping at very low volume using EQ for a "loudness" effect.

...other ideas please?? -at least we know your budget.

so are you saying they have the clarity, but not the balance? new budget is about $70.

has anyone else here had any experience with the er6i + ipod?

thanks

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

so are you saying they have the clarity, but not the balance? new budget is about $70.

has anyone else here had any experience with the er6i + ipod?

thanks

The ER6/i isn't what I would call balanced unless I EQ them. They don't have enough bass for most peoples taste. With a great source and amp I think they sound very good and easily worth the price.

At this low-end of the IEM price range I don't think any of the IEM options will really please most listeners who have $100+ full size headphones.

Having just bought the Phonak IEMs, I'm amazed at the value. They're more balanced than the Ety sound IMO...but twice your budget.

It seems that there's always a sacrifice somewhere with many IEMs. Only a few do most everything right and that is even debatable due to varying personal taste.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

...at a decent price? What do you recommend? They will be unamped coming straight out of my iPod touch.

I just listened to my KSC35 after seeing your post. Eric Clapton's Unplugged CD! Sound-stage and clarity! It still blows my mind away. I am still to find gem like this. I mean price performance factor.
If they were not ugly, I wouldn't have looked anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back