IEMs that don’t fall out
Jul 26, 2020 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ArlakTheRecluse

Head-Fier
Hello! I’ve got a really really unique issue when it comes to IEMs, I cannot get any single pair to stay in my ear, no matter what kind of tip I use. Foams refuse to actually go into my ear, silicone falls out within 1 minute every time I try them, multi flange just aren’t comfortable and again, fall out after a minute. The literal one pair of headphones I can get to stay in no-matter what is a Jabra Elite 65T, but those have bad sound quality and bad connection and 2 hours of battery life. Are there any IEMs, at all, that have the shape of these? Because literally NOTHING else works for me.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 15
Assuming you've tried all different eartip sizes, tried and getting a deeper fit or a shallower fit etc...? Some people just don't have ears that work well with IEMs - for instance a very shallow outer canal combined with a narrow inner canal, or their ears flex a lot with jaw movement.

Are you strictly using TWS IEMs? If so might be better off with using a cabled type which don't have as much bulk (or for instance a 'negative profile' style design like shure or westone use).

You can also try using some designs that come with silicone earhooks/fins which can help stabilize the iem, there are even some generic aftermarket ones or moldable products like Decibullz make for airpods (alternatelly if so inclined could try to DIY your own with sugru or something).

ICYMI there are some techniques for inserting IEMs, I find it can be helpful with foam tips as well (FWIW when using multiflanges (for instance Etymotic tips), they can require a bit of 'breaking in' and can take a week or two to become comfortable.) .

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Assuming you've tried all different eartip sizes, tried and getting a deeper fit or a shallower fit etc...? Some people just don't have ears that work well with IEMs - for instance a very shallow outer canal combined with a narrow inner canal, or their ears flex a lot with jaw movement.

Are you strictly using TWS IEMs? If so might be better off with using a cabled type which don't have as much bulk (or for instance a 'negative profile' style design like shure or westone use).

You can also try using some designs that come with silicone earhooks/fins which can help stabilize the iem, there are even some generic aftermarket ones or moldable products like Decibullz make for airpods (alternatelly if so inclined could try to DIY your own with sugru or something).

ICYMI there are some techniques for inserting IEMs, I find it can be helpful with foam tips as well (FWIW when using multiflanges (for instance Etymotic tips), they can require a bit of 'breaking in' and can take a week or two to become comfortable.) .

Hey, I’ve been using Tin T2’s for a while now, and also used 1more Trip Drivers for a while. They both had the issue of falling out, and same with any generic IEMs that I’ve worn. I’ve had the T2’s since they first launched on Massdrop, but they’ve really never fit me well. I think some shallow ear tips would help, as the Jabras have the most shallow eartips I’ve ever seen and they never fall out. Thanks for the help!

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey, I’ve been using Tin T2’s for a while now, and also used 1more Trip Drivers for a while. They both had the issue of falling out, and same with any generic IEMs that I’ve worn. I’ve had the T2’s since they first launched on Massdrop, but they’ve really never fit me well. I think some shallow ear tips would help, as the Jabras have the most shallow eartips I’ve ever seen and they never fall out. Thanks for the help!

hmm those are both pretty shallow fit IEMs, interesting that the jabra still fit. Have you ever tried a deeper fit IEM? (aforementioned ety, shure, westone etc...). If you're committed to using IEMs i think it would be worth a try.

Also: Do you wear the T2 w/ cable over-ear style? Another trick that can help with that is dropping the cable down your back and using the y-split slider to lightly cinch the cable up at the base of your head. Also shirt-clips to keep a little slack.

(illustration of SE215, just to show 'deep fit' type of nozzle, westone and ety pair this with somewhat longer eartips as well)
Headphone-Zone-Shure-Se-215-micro-Driver_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 15
Seems you have extra wide ear holes which is not to common but Spinfit has some XL size so it would be worth a shot. I almost have to use the largest tips for any iem so the XL’s might help but not for sure.

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Seems you have extra wide ear holes which is not to common but Spinfit has some XL size so it would be worth a shot. I almost have to use the largest tips for any iem so the XL’s might help but not for sure.
Actually they’re too small for any Foams to fit in.
hmm those are both pretty shallow fit IEMs, interesting that the jabra still fit. Have you ever tried a deeper fit IEM? (aforementioned ety, shure, westone etc...). If you're committed to using IEMs i think it would be worth a try.

Also: Do you wear the T2 w/ cable over-ear style? Another trick that can help with that is dropping the cable down your back and using the y-split slider to lightly cinch the cable up at the base of your head. Also shirt-clips to keep a little slack.

(illustration of SE215, just to show 'deep fit' type of nozzle, westone and ety pair this with somewhat longer eartips as well)
Headphone-Zone-Shure-Se-215-micro-Driver_2048x2048.jpg
Any specific models from them? I’m used to the T2’s sound for context, so any recommendations would be appreciated. I’m definitely willing to try something a bit deeper though.
Have you tried Etymotics with the foam tips? If they went in, there's no way they would come out.
Could you link me them? I’d definitely like to look into them!

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Hello! I’ve got a really really unique issue when it comes to IEMs, I cannot get any single pair to stay in my ear, no matter what kind of tip I use. Foams refuse to actually go into my ear, silicone falls out within 1 minute every time I try them, multi flange just aren’t comfortable and again, fall out after a minute. The literal one pair of headphones I can get to stay in no-matter what is a Jabra Elite 65T, but those have bad sound quality and bad connection and 2 hours of battery life. Are there any IEMs, at all, that have the shape of these? Because literally NOTHING else works for me.

Do u wear your IEMs cable down or over the ear? I find that in general the over the ear designs are more stable in terms of fit.

One option is to try other aftermarket ear tips that have longer stems eg spinfits. Or even consider custom IEMs or custom earbuds (These are pretty pricey though).

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 15
Do u wear your IEMs cable down or over the ear? I find that in general the over the ear designs are more stable in terms of fit.

One option is to try other aftermarket ear tips that have longer stems eg spinfits. Or even consider custom IEMs or custom earbuds (These are pretty pricey though).
I personally wear them over my ear, feels nicer on me.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 15
Any specific models from them? I’m used to the T2’s sound for context, so any recommendations would be appreciated. I’m definitely willing to try something a bit deeper though.

I haven't heard too many IEMs with this style of nozzle, nor have I heard T2. The closest current product I use is Etymotics ER2SE (if you catch a sale ~110 usd.. there is also an XR version with more bass). I've never tried them with foams like morphine recommended, the tri-flange tips can take some patience to adjust to- Westone 'Star' tips with long single flange might be an alternative as well, I've liked them with other IEMs but never tested with Ety either.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 15
I've had similar issues and still find it challenging to get a secure fit.
I have narrow (strongly oval) ear canals, and never got a comfortable and secure fit until I started to fit the tip into the concha, the area just outside the ear canal.
The best experiences are with bigger, rounder and softer ear tips. In my case the Spiral Dot ++ fom JVC, Spinfiit CP 100 or the Sony Hybrid EP-EX10A tips.

Also opening the mouth and pulling back and down on the ear during fitting helps to get the IEM seated well.

Hope that helps.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 15
What tips have you tried (brands/measurements)?

The new Azla Xelastec tips may work for you, super sticky according to others. Although I'm not sure if their SS size is small enough for your ears.

The Etymotic deep insertion tips may be the smallest/best if you go with an ER2 and don't mind cable down.

I'd also recommend Westone, Shure or Audiosense (t180/t260) due to their small nozzle which allows for more compression of their tips to fit small ear canals. I have small to medium-small size ear canals and the best fitting IEM I've tried are the Westone UM Pro series.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 15
I've had similar issues and still find it challenging to get a secure fit.
I have narrow (strongly oval) ear canals, and never got a comfortable and secure fit until I started to fit the tip into the concha, the area just outside the ear canal.
The best experiences are with bigger, rounder and softer ear tips. In my case the Spiral Dot ++ fom JVC, Spinfiit CP 100 or the Sony Hybrid EP-EX10A tips.

Also opening the mouth and pulling back and down on the ear during fitting helps to get the IEM seated well.

Hope that helps.
Sounds like issues I face myself.
Any IEM’s you have found most comfortable doing so?
I tried xelento but couldn’t cope with driver flex.
Today my top picks are: Dunu Luna, Technics EAH-Tz700 and Shure SE846

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 15
A hundred years ago, when I was still going to rock concerts, I purchased a pair of custom fit earplugs (so, they took a mold of my ear, made a plastic holder that fit my ear) which essentially was a plastic thing fit to my ear, that housed a metal cylinder that filtered out the really high sounds...

That's beside the point, but what is the point is: when I got the earplugs I was instructed (as is shown in the video in post #2) to reach behind my head and pull up and back on my ear as I was inserting the earplug; this does straighten out the ear canal and does allow for easier and better (and less chance of damage to one's ear canal) insertion. Now it's a forty-year ingrained habit, but it makes a huge amount of difference. If you have trouble with earplugs or iems falling out, maybe give a little attention to the method you are using to insert them - it might make the difference between barely working (but, works all the time) and you still having a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back