IEMs that decisively beat ER-4P at ~$180 and below (for iPods)
Jul 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #17 of 31
As others have stated, it's very subjective. I find Etymotics (and most other IEMs) to be unpleasantly bright and shrill. I HATE this, and thus feel that the ER4 isn't worth it's own price tag. I personal preference is the Future Sonics Atrio, which can be had for about $160, depending on where you look.

So yeah, it depends on if you want a more natural, organic sound (Atrio) or a more detailed, analytical sound (Etys). If you like that detailed brightness, the Ety's probably are your best bet.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 31
SA6, anyone?

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #19 of 31
X2 on the SA6's, since they're capable of producing ER-4'eque detail, without becoming shrill. Their ability to be customized according to the listener's preferences really make these a near-magical set of IEMs.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought them from another Head-fier.

I don't understand why anyone would buy this kind of stuff another way. The retail prices for these things new are obscene.

True, especially for companies that use price limits like Shure. The SE retail prices are almost price-gouging, probably because Shure has the most reputation and name recognition out of all IEM manufacturers. They have a great warranty though...

To the OP, you'll have to think about the kind of sound you want. I can tell you about the Shure sound signature: warm, more "musical" and "fun" than Etymotic but not to the degree of UE, emphasis on mids (and on bass in higher models like SE530 and SE420), treble rolloff that is slight and inviting for some and dull for others.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 31
Check the Sleek SA6 threads. Selling around $200, but a much higher SQ value-wise. And a more balanced, mid-forward IEM than the ER4Ps, which I owned and sold a year ago. You won't be disappointed in the SA6s, as the Ety sound may not be right (very minimal bass. Not bad, but not very present).

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 31
If they're going to be your only headphones, I'd be leary of getting the Etys because of possible comfort issues. Not everyone can stuff an IEM in their ear. Super.fis are even more chancy. I own a im716 and I can't use them 8 months out of the year because of allergies. If they cause pain, it doesn't matter if they sound better. They don't sound at all if you can't put them in your ears. You might be better off looking at something like the UM1 or canal phones that don't go into your ears very far. They tend to be a lot more comfortable. I can use the UM1 for 8 hours straight with out a problem.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 31
I got my ER-4P for $120ish from Amazon Warehouse Deals. If you spend a bit of effort looking, it's not hard to find deals.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're going to be your only headphones, I'd be leary of getting the Etys because of possible comfort issues. Not everyone can stuff an IEM in their ear. Super.fis are even more chancy. I own a im716 and I can't use them 8 months out of the year because of allergies. If they cause pain, it doesn't matter if they sound better. They don't sound at all if you can't put them in your ears. You might be better off looking at something like the UM1 or canal phones that don't go into your ears very far. They tend to be a lot more comfortable. I can use the UM1 for 8 hours straight with out a problem.

In terms of comfort, you can make the Etys amazing by using the Shure Olives instead of whatever comes with the Etys. They're comfortable, easy to use, and isolate well.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #27 of 31
I would recommend the jvc victor fx500... they arent iem's.. they;re canal phones.. very comfortable..

i've used ipod buds, shure, UE super fi's, bose in ears and atrio m5's befoer these and i can only say - they are the best.. if you want great bass close to the atrios and excellent mid's and high's that work for all kinds of music..and i really mean all.. i listen to rock, pop, bhangra, trance, diffenent languages.. everything,.... this is THE way to go .. esp in your price range..

try them.. you won't be disappointed.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #28 of 31
wow you listen to bhangra? respect.

how would the UE Super.Fi 5 compare to the Etymotics? I am currently using E2C and looking to upgrade.. the E2C is comfortable..but they lack the fullness and lively feeling..midrange is lacking, so is the extension..

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #29 of 31
^ I would say that any of the IEMs mentioned here would easily beat out the E2Cs in terms of SQ. However, I would recommend the SA6's, for reasons already mentioned by others. Plus, they're just darn comfortable (best flanges I've ever used), even though they go really deep in your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back