IEMs that can handle amplification?
Apr 13, 2024 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ATC BOSS

New Head-Fier
I've got an old FiiO Alpen E17. It has burned out the right unit of Sennheiser IE80s and Westone Mach40s, and the left unit of Sennheiser IE300s.

Anyone know of IEMs that can handle a lot of amplification? Ideally it can do 20hz to 18khz. And good bass without sounding muffled. I also tend to prefer dynamics over armatures.... Cheers...

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I've got an old FiiO Alpen E17. It has burned out the right unit of Sennheiser IE80s and Westone Mach40s, and the left unit of Sennheiser IE300s.

Anyone know of IEMs that can handle a lot of amplification? Ideally it can do 20hz to 18khz. And good bass without sounding muffled. I also tend to prefer dynamics over armatures.... Cheers...
You need to buy a new amp instead. That one seems problematic.

For your question, please have a look at Final Audio E series, particularly the head honcho E5000. That one thrives on amping.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 8

You might be looking at this backwards. Seems like it's costing you more in killed IEMs than it would cost you to replace the DAC/amp. Also, it's not actually a very powerful DAC/amp.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 8
You need to buy a new amp instead. That one seems problematic.

For your question, please have a look at Final Audio E series, particularly the head honcho E5000. That one thrives on amping.
Thanks for the recommendation. Any input on good portable amps that are about the same size? (~ 2" x 3.5") ? Especially with USB-C input.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 8
You might be looking at this backwards. Seems like it's costing you more in killed IEMs than it would cost you to replace the DAC/amp. Also, it's not actually a very powerful DAC/amp. In fact, the thing that's killing your IEMs might be the fact that it's underpowering your headphones and that it's only rated as low as 16 Ohms.
I don't know how it's under powering them when it's much louder than what they're probably designed for- a standard 3.5 headphone jack.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the recommendation. Any input on good portable amps that are about the same size? (~ 2" x 3.5") ? Especially with USB-C input.
It seems Topping G5 is the most suitable comparison (also has built in battery). Otherwise, you might be interested in FiiO BTR7.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't know how it's under powering them when it's much louder than what they're probably designed for- a standard 3.5 headphone jack.
Hmmm. Yeah. Looks like it checks out just fine specs-wise. Clearly something not doing what it's supposed to be. Though keep in mind that loudness isn't necessarily a sign of power, just gain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back