IEMs specifically for rock
Feb 23, 2006 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for another "what should I buy" thread, but I need some advice.

I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket, and I think it would be best spent on an IEM upgrade. I am currently using ER6s and SuperFi 3s directly out of my iPod. I have an Airhead but I only use when traveling. When I am in the gym, I use the IEMs right out of my iPod.

So what I am looking for is a new IEM that is specfically tailored to (or at least well suited for) rock. It will be used directly out of my iPod (I am not willing to carry an amp around the gym). My price range is around $200 so I am considering the following:

SuperFi 5 Pro
SuperFi 5 EB
Etymotic ER-4P
Shure E4c

My current playlist consists of things like, Fall Out Boy, Funeral For A Friend, Armor For Sleep, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Finger Eleven, My Chemical Romance, well you get the idea. The lightest thing I listen to is Soul Coughing/Mike Doughty. The heaviest would be Mudvaye or Silverstein. I am not interested in classic rock, jazz, classical, pop or R&B/rap.

I have been pleased with my ER6s and even the SuperFi 3. I am definetly looking for more bass, but I think the EBs might be overkill. I am not too concerned about apprearance, but microphonics is an issue. I can deal with the etys on an arc trainier, but the SuperFi's are a little better.

I would like to buy just one IEM, though I might consider buying two and selling one in the FS forum once I have decided. Any advice is appreciated.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 2
the superfi5pro are reported to have great synergy with the ipod

i would go for those if you didnt use an amp, if you do use an amp then i'd recommend the e4's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back