IEMS/ Shure E500
Nov 23, 2006 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

jada15

New Head-Fier
Ok so this forum has definatly struck my wallet hard. A while ago i bought some hd650s and thought they were a waste of money. This was with like 90 hours of burn in. After id say 110 hours of burn in they really changed for the better and i was dumbstruck. So I ordered a canamp from Dan and am currently waiting on that. In the mean time I needed something portable for my zvm and after looking at this forum I decided on the Shure E500 (not bad for a nub eh)
wink.gif
I got them today but am fairly disappointed. My question is do IEMs like the E500s need to be burnt in like normal headphones or will it not do much to them.

Nov 23, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 32
Due to the in-ear nature of IEMs, they sound different from full-size headphones. Give yourself more time to get used to them. Try different foamies, comfys, biflanges, etc. to get a good, comfortable fit.

I think the Shure E500 sounds very good, although it's not as good as the HD650 or other full-size headphones. To me, full-size headphones have better overall sound quality, especially soundstage, imaging and air.

The HD650 is amp-dependent and improves with a better-matched amp and a good quality source. Changing the cable may also improve it.

The Shure E500 sounds decent directly from a 5G iPod, but it also sounds better with an amp such as the RSA Hornet.

Nov 23, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 32
Can you be a bit more specific how you find the E500s disappointing? The sound sig of Shure and Sennheiser are pretty different, and one being an IEM and the other a full-sized open can......

Nov 23, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 32
Definately go with the foamies - the other tips are either uncomfortable, pop if you move your jaw or are itch city after a relatively short time in use. The foams are far better (IMO) at providing that all important seal. Without it any IEM will sound 'off'. I discovered this very early on in my IEM ownership.
They are also more comfortable during extended listening.

jl123,
How did you make your own foams for the E500? I have a box of 40 foams for my E2s which I had hoped I could use - I still have the E2s so they're not being wasted but if I can use them it would all help.

Nov 23, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 32
I couldn't get on with any of the tips that ship with the E4 (I think E500 has the same ones). Most of them are too hard and don't reform to fit my ears. The only tips that work for me (give some bass and are comfortable) are the large E2C foamies (which don't fit any other model) and the Etymotic tri-flanges (which should fit the E500 I think).

Nov 23, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 32
I also recommend trying out the foamies. The other tips hurt or itched like hell after awhile. They allow for longer listening, and allow for a cleaner sound, at least for me. I'm either reaching for the e500s or the k701s right now.....

Nov 24, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 32
Have to ask, but are you sure that you are getting a good seal? What do you find disappointing about them?

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by breseler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jl123,
How did you make your own foams for the E500? I have a box of 40 foams for my E2s which I had hoped I could use - I still have the E2s so they're not being wasted but if I can use them it would all help.

I use a hole punch and I bought like 50 feet of tubing from tygon. I forgot the size though. I bought a hole punch like that from harbor freight...not the best but it works. The tubing is pretty much as good as you're going to get. So far I haven't had anything stuck in my ears and I'm using some pretty massive plugs. I use a little superglue in the right place to keep the tube secured to the ear plug.

I think the most important thing is to get a tip that doesn't cover up the opening. Maybe its just me but any other tip seems to change the sound in a bad way. Bass sounds much better without the sound having to go through a small rubber hole...example...the soft tips.

Yeah and the seal is important too. Even with my big foam tips it sounds best when I shove the plug in just right.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jada15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got them today but am fairly disappointed.

I am also afriad of dropping $500 on a pair of earphones and being disappoint after the purchase.

Nov 24, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 32
I was thinking of going out this morning and buying a pair of e500's. There's a store here having one of those "6 hour" sales and you also get a new Nano with it. I could sell the Nano or even give it as a present to a friend. Still, I think I might wait till after the holidays to see what kinds of deals or perhaps new model IEMs are out there.

Nov 24, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 32
If you are searching for a headphone with good value for money, don't buy IEMs. They are expensive, I could say about double price for similar sound quality if we compare them with normal headphones. Of course, IEMs are very good in portability and isolation.

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 32
I, too, am the new owner of a pair of the e500's as of a week ago today. And I, too, was initially disappointed in the SQ (and even almost started my own "what the hell?" thread about that disappointment, until I saw that others had also noted an initial let-down with the e500's but were encouraged by other members to give them more time). Not that I didn't notice they're great with detail, but I thought they sounded thin, if you will, not very robust. But I've been listening to them as much as I can and even have let them play unattended, and I don't know whether they are, in fact, burning in or if it's just a case of me getting used to them, but they do seem now to have a fuller, richer sound. At this point, I'm beginning to let myself think this might be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Oh, and what everyone else is saying bout the foamies. In fact, I've gone and ordered a set of 10 from Shure.

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 32
Anyone tried the UM56 custom earmolds on the E500? I have impressions which I am thinking about getting "Customs" produced from. At the rate that I seem to be getting through foams it might be a cheaper option in the long run....

Nov 24, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyungryul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also afriad of dropping $500 on a pair of earphones and being disappoint after the purchase.

Then order from Headroom where the E500-PTH are $400 and they allow a 30-day return privilege with no restocking charge so you have an out if you really don't like them. But give the E500 some time (and maybe a few EQ tweaks) and I don't think you'll want to return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back