IEMs - RHA MA750 replacement
Nov 20, 2016 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

penfold1992

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi, im back after a few years of IEM usage!

I am looking for IEM's for use to and in work. I will be wearing them outside, potentially in the rain (although not exposed directly to the rain, I wear a hat) and when I am in work sat at a desk all day. The environment is quiet and so I cannot be disturbing others, sound isolation is important but due to IEM's already providing pretty decent noise isolation itself, I cannot see this being too much trouble.

Budget:
A similar budget to my previous IEM's, the RHA MA750's at around £80 or $100.
I am looking for headphones alone, with no amp or DAC or any other accessories. The reason behind this is simplicity, I need something lightweight and easy to carry around in my pockets at work without making a distinct bulge... 

Music:
Metal / Rock / Post-Hardcore mostly, although I am known to listen to Jazz, Neo-Classical and Classical music.
I will be listening to them through an iPod, now although I actually HATE the iPod (due to historical issues I've had with iTunes, although I now use CopyTrans, and the fact that I have to convert my music before putting it on the ipod, likely downgrading the quality) I feel this is the only option I have for lightweight, high capacity, easy and quick to select my music and with a good battery. I am thinking of replacing this with a android phone which I will customise to make it lightweight. If anyone has a good alternative, please let me know!

I am looking for recommendation on what to do... replace my headphones or buy some more RHA MA750's.
I have only had the RHA MA750's for approximately 2 years but unfortunately, I cannot say that I have had the best of luck with them. The sound quality has always been good but for some reason, the rest of the equipment... not so much.
Pair 1. Blistered quickly on the inline controls and the functionality of it quickly went.
Pair 2. The headphone jack appeared bent, meaning that the headphones would only work if plugged in a certain way.
Pair 3. The ones I own now. The cabling has ripped at almost every join. please see this imgur link attached.
I keep my headphones in the case that it came with, which also is ideally sized for the ipod touch too!
The headphone jack is attached to an extension cable, not for extending the length of the cable but just so that the extension is the bit that interferes with my pocket when I stand and sit and not the headphones jack. I would rather pay $5 for an extension then a whole new set of headphones.
BUT, I must say that RHA have been very good. They have replaced the first two and I cannot fault them for this. I am not planning on sending these back to them as they honestly have given me a lot of good listening time and they very much deserve my money, I am happy to pay for them again if these are seen as best in class.

So, now you have heard the story, what else would others recommend?
Are the RHA T10i's worth the additional money? or the RHA CL750's just as good?
Any other brand of headphones you can recommend?

I am interested to hear your opinions!

Kind Regards,
Penfold1992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back