IEMs or Headphones?
Nov 11, 2019 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EricMck

New Head-Fier
I have always used IEMs and currently have Empire Ears Legend X, which I am very happy with. But I'm tempted to sell these and go for the ZMF Verite Closed. I'm not very technical but, in simple terms, would a good pair of headphones sound better than an equivalently priced iem?

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 10
In my opinion, no; they just sound different.
Consider the source; will you be using a dap? If so, iems will probably sound better.
Headphones will probably offer a better soundstage, and less of that closed in sound.

The only true answer is it depends.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 10
I have always used IEMs and currently have Empire Ears Legend X, which I am very happy with. But I'm tempted to sell these and go for the ZMF Verite Closed. I'm not very technical but, in simple terms, would a good pair of headphones sound better than an equivalently priced iem?

Yes agree with @DeepSouth that they are different.

In general, open backed headphones will beat most IEMs in the soundstage department.

But IEMs are more for their isolation (if u get a good fit) and portability. Most IEMs are also low impedance and easy to drive, while there are some headphones that have very high impedance and may need an amp to shine.
Also, where I live in, it is quite hot so I can't really use headphones for an extended period of time, plus I wear specs (which may cause trouble with headphone comfort). YMMV.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 10
IEMs are at a bit of a disadvantage because they don't use the outer ear which is rather important for shaping frequency response and spatial queues (IEM tuning have to compensate for this). They're also a lot smaller so you lose a certain physical/dynamic quality to the sound, but like the others say once you find a good match and get used to IEM style sound they can be equally enjoyable- also the isolation and portability are big positives.

Instead of getting rid of your IEMs- suggest checking for nearby store (or Canjam) with headphone demos. Or it fits into your listening situation could also try a more affordable open back over-ear just to experience it (a classic like HD650 maybe or something less likely to need an extra amp (I like Focal Clear, but a bit $).

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the replies. I've got the A&K SP2000 so I will have to read the reviews if I go for headphones. The Empire Legend X are good for bass, but I am left wondering if headphones will be even better (I'm a bit of a bit of a basshead!). Guess there's no substitute for getting down to a dealer to have a listen....

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the replies. I've got the A&K SP2000 so I will have to read the reviews if I go for headphones. The Empire Legend X are good for bass, but I am left wondering if headphones will be even better (I'm a bit of a bit of a basshead!). Guess there's no substitute for getting down to a dealer to have a listen....

Yeah, I think if you want bass there really a clear advantage because of all the air full size dynamic and planar drivers can move... I recd open headphones just because general consensus is that they tend to represent the best of full size headphones- closed backs have to compensate for certain acoustic problems created by the earcups, but do tend to have the best in bass capability.

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, I think if you want bass there really a clear advantage because of all the air full size dynamic and planar drivers can move... I recd open headphones just because general consensus is that they tend to represent the best of full size headphones- closed backs have to compensate for certain acoustic problems created by the earcups, but do tend to have the best in bass capability.
Thanks. From what I can gather from reviews, closed back headphones will also be less annoying to people on the train on my way to work!

Nov 13, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 10
I like IEMs for when I travel or need some mobility. I like headphones for sitting at home and relaxing.

you’ve got a great set up for IEMs and it could turn out to be an expensive proposition to swap to a full headphone set up that you potentially might not like.

if you’re mainly looking for closed backs that could be good for a commute and run off your current DAP, you might want to look into Oppo PM3s. I used to have those and used a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable and there was a ton of bass and very easy to drive.

Nov 15, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I bet the Verite C, can give your LX a run for the money! However, I would be happy with either one. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back