IEMs or Canalphones for one stop for all
Aug 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ljcii

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a one stop for all, arguably comparable to the best but cheapest (stuff like atrio m5 which people choose over se530,(little though) but yes this kind) and durable which i won't ever have the need to upgrade again.
Which should i get, an iem or canalphone and which. Any advice is greatly appreciated and will be taken into serious consideration!

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which should i get, an iem or canalphone and which. Any advice is greatly appreciated and will be taken into serious consideration!

This is a debated distinction that really isn't going to get you anywhere near what you are intending. Why don't you just describe the type of music you listen to, the type of sound you like, your price range, how you plan on using them (amped, unamped, workout/running), and any other special needs you have (isolation for loud environments, etc.) and we can help you out better.

Also, "durable so I won't ever have to upgrade" is not realistic or possible. Any IEMs/Canals, like most things, will wear out eventually. Some are more robust than others, but still. Besides, as you appear to be an active poster on this thread, chances are you'll be upgrading them before they break anyway...
smily_headphones1.gif

As to actually answering your question, without knowing your pricerange and musical tastes, any recommendation will be very generic, but I'll try anyway. If money is no object and you like customs, go with the UE 11 Pro. If you don't want customs, the big three tend to be Shure SE530, UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro, and Sleek SA6s. There is also a growing contingent of people who are fond of the Klipsch custom series (custom-3 is top). If you are looking for cheaper, UE Super.Fi 5s, Atrio M5/8, Etymotic ER-4p/s are all nice. If you want earbud style, Yuin OK1 amped, OK2 nonamped. The list goes on and on, but people seems to like these. Keep in mind, all of these have dramatically different sound signatures, so without knowing your preferences, its impossible to narrow the list. The exception here would be the SA6s, which you can tune to your liking, so that makes them the most versatile, generic recommendation.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

stuff like atrio m5 which people choose over se530

Anyone who prefers M5s over SE530s has lost their mind...
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 17
Ok, i like bass. Unamped and preferably ok isolation is enough. Just wear it to school, bus , back home. and preferably 200-250 and nearer to the top-end sound so psycologicaly i know i don't need to test other earphones by buying.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Ok, i like bass. Unamped and preferably ok isolation is enough. Just wear it to school, bus , back home. and preferably 200-250 and nearer to the top-end sound so psycologicaly i know i don't need to test other earphones by buying.

Now we're talking. In that case, Sleek SA6, Shure SE420, or Atrio M5. All have good bass, good isolation, and fit your price range. How do you feel about your highs? Shures are a bit rolled off (which I actually like, others don't) and the Sleeks are completely tunable. If you aren't sure exactly the sound you want, you'll do quite well with the SA6s, they are a great IEM to figure out exactly what "your sound" is.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 17
Ok. kind of made up my mind. thanks

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 17
:'( 1.1k us = 1.5k singapore. it'll take me 8 years to save that amount how about that
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Ok. kind of made up my mind. thanks

Well, what are you going with?

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

:'( 1.1k us = 1.5k singapore. it'll take me 8 years to save that amount how about that
tongue.gif

Better start saving then.
popcorn.gif

Seriously. Perhaps you should state your budget, since it clearly seems to have an upper limit.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 17
SA 6. one stop for all. But still it'll take me like 8 months to save for it
tongue.gif
nevertheless, think im saving for it. orelse. what else more then
tongue.gif
(again)

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Hello,
I just recently choose for UM2 which can be found in your budget. I receive them two days ago and this is my first pair of IEM so I can not say much more than: so far I'm happy with it, they are confortable and sound isolating but not too much (I ear enough of the circulation to not represent a danger but not enough to feel like I need to put the volume up).

oak3x own both the sa6 and the UM2 and speak a little bit about them here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ne-um2-347511/

(for me sa6 was out of question since I really am not careful enough to feel like owning a pair of IEM in pieces).

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 17
heh. I'm malaysian living in singapore. Contact you next time if i ever go to malaysia? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back