IEM's(or buds) with BASS(decent quality bass) $40-$100?
Feb 11, 2009 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Nirvana1000

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for IEM's(or buds) at the $40-$100 range.So far i have the Soundmagic PL30's,Yuin PK3,OK3's,NuForce NE-7M's,CX300,V Moda Vibes,MylarOne XBi,Z-Buds and Head Direct's RE 2's in mind.I definitely want prominent,slamming bass,but not to the point of suffering highs and mids.I believe i have some good choices to start with,but have not heard any of them.So far going by reviews the NE-7M's look very promising.Any recommendations would be helpful.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 28
I can't give you a positive reply, since I wouldn't know what to suggest, but please stay away from Vmoda's because they are head-ache inducing.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 28
What do you listen to?

I'd say either Atrios M5 or Super Fi 5 EBs.

I have a pair of SF5EB that I might be selling if you are looking to grab a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 28
Under $100? Neither of those phones qualify.

Does iso mean anything? If not, PK3 gets my vote. If so, tough call at that price. I think the Nuforce is good for the money, but it has the mic for the iPhone, which can break (mine did). But they did replace it quick.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under $100? Neither of those phones qualify.

Does iso mean anything? If not, PK3 gets my vote. If so, tough call at that price. I think the Nuforce is good for the money, but it has the mic for the iPhone, which can break (mine did). But they did replace it quick.

I guess I shamefully missed that. But the SF5 would apply since I could sell it for $100.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 28
They are not IEMs, but Sennheiser PX100 would be a great choice.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 28
I listen to Rock,Metal,Electronic,Industrial,Trance,and Hip Hop.So i guess you can say an IEM(or buds) for all genres.Isolation doesn't really matter to me,but is a plus.I've had the PX100's but returned them when i got my Portapros.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 28
The thing is, in that price bracket you won't find anything besting what you alrady have. If you needed isolation, I would point you towards some cheap Sennheiser CX300. Others can talk more about the Phonak.

I am not aware of many good quality bass heavy IEMs under 100$.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 28
I am currently using Panasonic RP-HJE550 headphone that have quite nice bass and the mid and high is not bad. The only issue I am finding is they need quite a bit of burn in to sound good and they may need an amp to realy shine at lower volumes. But this may be subjective. I see them selling for around $50 on Amazon and if you live in Canada they are currently on sale at London Drugs for $50 as well. I am finding them to be very comfortable as well.

Note: I wear these phones in the opposite ear and upside down with the cable going over my ear which is more comfortable for me and reduces microphonics to almost nill.

Here is a comparison to my others phones:

JVC HA-FX66, the Pana's have better bass by a fair margin, better midrange and almost as good a highs (I find the Pana's to be almost hissy at points esoecially before burnin but it seems to be leveling off). As good if not better isolation and I think more comfortable.

JBL Reference 220, the Pana's have way better isolation, better bass, better midrange and better highs in my opinion. Also no cable rub microphonics which the JBL's suffer from.

Bose In Ear, The bose has the absolute most bass out of any in ear I have tried and pretty nice midrange, but the highs are muted to non existant on these phones. For mellow music such as New Age, Folk, and anything very relaxed the Bose are very nice. For rock and other more technically demanding music the Bose start to fall down. Having said that the Bose has the most bass I would say the Pana's have about 60-70% of the amount of bass of the Bose but the Pana's are ALOT Tighter and outshine the bose in every other way sonically. The Bose is as comfortable or more comfortable than the Pana's but only if your not move around alot and only if you use the lanyard given with the Bose otherwise you will be fidgetting with them all the time as they move in your ear.

One last thing. The Pana's are also the first set of phones I find I can lay on my side with when sleeping without them severely bothering me in my sleep.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 28
"Good quality" is more opinion.Let me rephrase."Decent Quality".Reading the reviews the PK3's,NE-7M's,and the RE2's are all decent quality IEM's for under$100.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 28
Yes. RE2 is decent quality but what you stated is you want bass, and they aren't gonna give it. The same goes for Altec iM716, dJAYS (but these are just bad), etc.

PK3 should be bassy but isn't a IEM. PK2 is neither bassy, nor IEM.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently using Panasonic RP-HJE550 headphone that have quite nice bass and the mid and high is not bad. The only issue I am finding is they need quite a bit of burn in to sound good and they may need an amp to realy shine at lower volumes. But this may be subjective. I see them selling for around $50 on Amazon and if you live in Canada they are currently on sale at London Drugs for $50 as well. I am finding them to be very comfortable as well.

Note: I wear these phones in the opposite ear and upside down with the cable going over my ear which is more comfortable for me and reduces microphonics to almost nill.

Here is a comparison to my others phones:

JVC HA-FX66, the Pana's have better bass by a fair margin, better midrange and almost as good a highs (I find the Pana's to be almost hissy at points esoecially before burnin but it seems to be leveling off). As good if not better isolation and I think more comfortable.

JBL Reference 220, the Pana's have way better isolation, better bass, better midrange and better highs in my opinion. Also no cable rub microphonics which the JBL's suffer from.

Bose In Ear, The bose has the absolute most bass out of any in ear I have tried and pretty nice midrange, but the highs are muted to non existant on these phones. For mellow music such as New Age, Folk, and anything very relaxed the Bose are very nice. For rock and other more technically demanding music the Bose start to fall down. Having said that the Bose has the most bass I would say the Pana's have about 60-70% of the amount of bass of the Bose but the Pana's are ALOT Tighter and outshine the bose in every other way sonically. The Bose is as comfortable or more comfortable than the Pana's but only if your not move around alot and only if you use the lanyard given with the Bose otherwise you will be fidgetting with them all the time as they move in your ear.

One last thing. The Pana's are also the first set of phones I find I can lay on my side with when sleeping without them severely bothering me in my sleep.

I actually heard good things about these IEM's.Thanks.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 28
The NE-7M seems like a great valued IEM.The only thing is that people are complaining about the stock tips.Which is no big thing if the sound is a good as the reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back