IEMs on airplanes
Dec 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

xyz

100+ Head-Fier
do your ears still pop when they're plugged with iems? i don't know the exact terminology of what goes on to your ears at high altitudes but using normal headphones i have to put the volume twice as high during this state and it still sounds very bloated and muddy and just gets to the point that music is not enjoyable up there. do iems sealing your ears up prevent all of this?

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 25
Not sure, they make it worse for me though. The pressure sort of stays in and builds up, and I always have to take off the iems and relieve the pressure

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do your ears still pop when they're plugged with iems? i don't know the exact terminology of what goes on to your ears at high altitudes but using normal headphones i have to put the volume twice as high during this state and it still sounds very bloated and muddy and just gets to the point that music is not enjoyable up there. do iems sealing your ears up prevent all of this?

Misc. point - there was a thread earlier which discussed headphones' changing performance higher up in the air (i.e. with less air pressure) as opposed to at sea level.

I suppose we all know now.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 25
Never had any problems with my Etys. I stick 'em in pretty deep, if that makes any difference. Although I don't put them in until we reach cruising altitude.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 25
your ears will always need to equalize depending on atmospheric pressure. sometimes they will do this on their own, sometimes they need a little help.

the SCUBA divers' trick is to squeeze your nose shut and try to exhale through your nose... the air will be forced into your sinuses and "pop" your ears, allowing them to equalize to the outside pressure.

this is not dangerous or bad for your ears. however, your ears may not completely equalize, and that combined with the loud droning of the engine can affect sound quality, depending on how much your IEMs or headphones attenuate ambient noise.

the Etymotic ER series are really unparalleled as far as isolation goes, blocking 35-40dB. most IEMs isolate anywhere from 15-25dB.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiewalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever tried chewing gum during takeoff? I can relieve the pressure by sort of swallowing "strongly" now, but the gum trick forces the motion. It really helps.

I fly frequently and use this trick as well. I chew some gum when taking off and landing; it helps to prevent my ears from popping.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 25
I really haven't noticed any problems with IEM's when I fly. I generally use my old Sure E2C's since they double as earplugs and cut down on the noise a lot (even if I'm not listening to music). Then again, I don't really have any pressure problems without them either.

I did used to have problems with my ears plugging up when I was younger though. I think that it just depends on the person. I guess that I'm lucky that I grew out of it. When I did have issues though I could often fix them by plugging my nose and then trying to exhale through it. There's a technical name for this maneuver but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 25
I haven't had a problem, but I don't put them in for take off, since I can't listen to music anyway. I may have taken them out before I had to on landing because I could feel pressure building up. But only a few minutes early.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 25
I'm glad you're looking at IEMs for flying. That's a safer choice for your ears. The rumble of a plane invades the music and you do have to turn regular headphones up louder, which is not good for your ears. With an IEM, you get marvelous sound isolation. On my iPod, I regularly have to turn my headphones up to three-quarters power (and that's just on the ground). With my IEMs, I can enjoy the music at half power, which is great.

I also think IEMs are better for providing good bass. Maybe it's the fact that most of my headphones are Grados but I've come to notice that great bass requires either a good seal or additional sound. The seal when using in-ear phones makes it easier to jiggle the eardrums and get that rattle of good bass - but without having to really push the volume.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 25
I've regularly flown with iems in my ears. That includes during take-off, cruising, and landing. I just swallow whenever I feel pressure on my ears. I don't take out my iems either. I don't really see a problem with using them, but I've been told by some air attendants to take them out.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've regularly flown with iems in my ears. That includes during take-off, cruising, and landing. I just swallow whenever I feel pressure on my ears. I don't take out my iems either. I don't really see a problem with using them, but I've been told by some air attendants to take them out.

That's probably that conventional wisdom on autopilot. Some guy was on headfi, earlier this year, worried because his doctor had blamed a rash of tinnitis cases on in-ear monitors. But as IEMs provide greater isolation - letting you turn the music down - it's more likely that the problem stems from the world before IEMs, like all those people with cheap earbuds, cranking noise into both ears with all the foresight of a suicide bomber.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was that during the safety checks, or during normal flight?

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was that during the safety checks, or during normal flight?

x2. I've been told to take them out but only after the announcement to stop using electronic devices in preparation for landing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back