IEM's on a sub 100$ budget
Mar 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GunGrave

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am new here and I would like some advice considering my next headphone purchase.
I currently am using a pair of Koss KE29S with my Cowon D2(old faithful). The buds have very bad built quality and are just about at their breaking point.
I am from Romania and the most I could find on the local market are the following:
Denon AH-C360 for 75$, Pioneer SE-CLX60 , AKG K330, Sennheiser IE 4 for the same price and Sennheiser CX 400 || for about 80$.
I have an order active for more than a month now with some JaysThree but something is out of wack with the local importer and only God knows when they will finally be able to ship them.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 12
According to this, I must say, AMAZING review, the Pioneer seems like a shoe in. Any other opinions ?
www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-229-iems-compared-altec-lansing-uhp336-ue-superfi3-hippo-10eb-added-03-11-12

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Why don't you just get an ebay account and that way you can liberate yourself from local dealers and their petty offer. Any of the iems you listed will most probably be eaten alive by any decent product in that price range, something like the A151 for 55$ shipped if you like a balanced sound, or Soundmagic E10 if you prefer a stronger bass for 35$ and so on until you reach something from Sunrise which offer tremendous value for money.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Elementary my dear halfwaythere.

Most ebay/amazon sellers don't send to Romania and in case I find one that does, the delivery price + tax paid when entering customs might rival the actual item price.

Best case scenario, I buy the one off the UK store and with all costs included I end up paying just as much as I do for the Pioneer ones. The 35$ one u mentioned has free shipping and it ships from Hong Kong. Soo...it will get here in a month or so, no thanks.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 12
You've let yourself become a victim of internet folklore. I have over 10 orders from HK, China or US ebay sellers and it never took more than 2 weeks, usually 9 to 10 days,  to get my order even on untracked items. On a side note I'm also from ro and I have never payed extra taxes. :)

However if you don't want to go through that you still have better alternatives like Xears, based in Germany, or Fischer Audio. And on xears you can use the KLANGFUZZIS coupon and that way something like TD4 becomes 38 euros shipped.

gdaudiobase has also a very nice collection of Fischer Audio products in your price range.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 12
Well now...ain't that a kick in the head, you-re from Ro (as if the lab 501 logo wasn't evident enough).
OK, I will check these sites out and see what's what. On a side note though, it really seems like you dislike the Pioneers, even thought their review in the 230 IEMS is quite good. I will look around the sites and see some more alternatives. Thanks lots for broadening my horizons.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Nothing personal against the pioneers just I think they're too expansive for what they are. The Ro iem market is quite narrow and the only half decent deal I can think of are the Philips SHE3570, the same thing as the SHE3580, which go for 15 euros.

I'm also contemplating my next purchase and can't decide between a good mid range dynamic or an entry level BA. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 12
What is a BA ?
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 12
Mar 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Much thanks again for the eye opening contribution. I have just ordered the Xears TD4 with the crazy discount at 38 euros all tax included. Thanks a lot, I will write my impressions on them as soon as they come in.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, they have arrived. As a first impression, good quality, tight but not to strong of a bass, great separation and sound stage, very good instrument reproduction. At least this is compared to what I have previously owned which really is not much. The cable is also quite thick.
Bad things: the dreaded Y cable and simply ridiculous cable noise.It's a good thing that usually when the music is playing you can't make it out. But when the music stops you can actually make some beats by tapping the cord. I do not think the unit is faulty, it sounds to good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back