**IEMs NEEDED**
Oct 4, 2007 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

N0051215

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for the ambiguous title, but thought it might help get a few more people to read a thread from a newbie!

I know there are a few already regarding IEMs (or ICMs or whatever - I don't want to start a debate over semantics!) but I thought I'd start a new one to solve my little conundrum, so here goes:

I do a lot of air miles through my job and decided that the isolation inherent in IEMs is the way forward for me, esp. as I like to travel light - which brings me onto the fact that I really don't want to have to employ an amp to get the most out of the things! Also because I'll be using the 'phones in the gym/ running/ on train etc etc I don't want the extra bulk, but do want comfort and durability (I don't ask for much, do I?!).

The other thing is that I'm playing music from a Creative Zen (soon to be replaced by the new 160Gb iPod classic) and although I always compress at the highest settings, to be honest, not much of my music uses lossless compression - I know, not brilliant - but I'm not prepared to give up all the music I've collected* from friends and downloads over the years.

(* for 'collected', see 'stolen')

Money isn't necessarily an object as I do like to treat myself on occasion, but I'm not going to pay through the nose for something I'm not going to fully appreciate.....I started looking at the shure 530's or Ety ER4P's for example. But came to the conclusion that there is no point in having top quality phones that reach the highest of highs or deepest of lows - if my music does not! Besides anything that is too 'analytical' (as I have heard the Ety's being called) will no doubt draw attention to compression and become very fatiguing, esp. as I spent a few years at uni doing some music production (and now do a bit as a kind of hobby) so my ears are geared towards analytical listening.

So with that in mind, I don't really mind if the IEM's are a little 'warm' or 'musical' - but I do want as decent as set as I can get my hands on!

Models I have come across that might fit the bill are:
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3/ or 5eb's
Etymotic ER-6i
Denon AH C700

But I'm open to suggestion and advice - and as I'm new to Head-Fi, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for listening......to those that are still here.

Gav

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 19
I think people are most likely going to tell you SE530's because of their comfort and sound quality.

PS: Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet. :p

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 19
I'd go with the Denon AH-C700. I've actually heard these headphones recently and they have really nice sound quality, a tribute to the engineers at Denon that actually bothered to properly engineer the dynamic driver and driver case.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 19
I am looking into 5EBs for much the same reason. Money is an object to me - I am going to bite when I think that I can get a set for a price that is near to what I can sell them for if I am not happy. So the market space for them is important to me.

It seems to me that d-JAYS attracts the same people as those iems.

I don't think that an airplane will be the place that one can appreciate the difference between a $150 and a $400 iem.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 19
I don't consider the ER-4S 'analytical' at all! 'Analytical' implies frigidity.

The ER-4S certainly very accurate, with a well balanced reproduction of the audio spectrum and great detail throughout.

But the ER-4S is also emotionally very stirring. For me, only the AKG K701 has come close in this regard. I guess a balanced frequency reproduction and the conveying of fine detail move me emotionally.

By the way, I run the ER-4S directly from my laptop and have no troubles at all reaching satisfying listening levels.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 19
To Balisarda: "I don't consider the ER-4S 'analytical' at all! 'Analytical' implies frigidity"

I was only going on what I have heard on this and other sites - also I don't know if there's much difference between the 4S and the 4P?? All I've heard is to steer clear of Ety's if you're not going to amp - sound amazing with, no so much without. Again, just what I've read!

(Incidentally, I've been looking at the K701 for a home rig - but that is for another day!)

To Underclocker: "I don't think that an airplane will be the place that one can appreciate the difference between a $150 and a $400 iem"

That was one of the reasons I was looking at the mid-range of IEMs......although I am currently eBaying for some 530's! (Apologies to our American friends, but a great thing about the recent crash in the USD is that stuff has got a whole lot more affordable for us Brits - which is nice, coz we normally get shafted!)

If they do get too expensive, I'll give them a miss in favour of the Denons or UE5s.

Thanks for everyones input.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 19
IEMs with the right fit will help reduce "auditory fatigue" (I think I just made that term up) during air travel -- even with the music turned way down or even off. It's always a little startling to take the earphones out and hear the ambient roar in an airplane cabin (I always laugh when a movie depicts people talking softly to each other on an airplane ... realism has to be jettisoned for the audience to hear the dialogue).

You seem to be closing in on a very good pair of IEMs (the high-end Shures get very good reviews; the lower-end ones often don't). IEMs certainly make air travel much more pleasant for me ...

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem to be closing in on a very good pair of IEMs (the high-end Shures get very good reviews; the lower-end ones often don't). IEMs certainly make air travel much more pleasant for me ...

I think for the more finicky Head-Fi crowd here the minimum should be the SE310, if you plug your IEM directly to the headphone output of your portable media player (I've heard the SE310 and really like its sound, but the cost from a good online reseller is still quite steep at US$180 or higher).

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 19
I just picked up the Super.fi 3s at Radio Shack yesterday. I gotta say, I am impressed. In fact, I am happy enough with these that I downgraded to them from the UM2s while I raise funds and decide what my next IEM will be.

The thing I have noticed the most with these that I am extremely pleased with is the soundstage. Honestly, it was the first thing that hit me and I think they have more than quite a few full size cans I have owned.

I'm not saying that these better the UM2s, they don't. I am saying that I am happy enough with these to go without the UM2s while I figure out what I'm doing.

Then again, you said price doesn't really matter, so maybe these are lower in the food chain than you want but IMO they sure are musical, fun and quite forgiving of source.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 19
SE530? Are these new? When I was here a year or so ago, iM716's were the must-have IEMs of choice. But now I don't see them being discussed at all.

Anyway, to the original poster, let me just speak about the two IEMs I own, the ER-6i and the iM716. While the iM716s sound better, they are not suitable for the gym or for running. They produce too much noise from the cords when you move around(microphonics, I think it's called). Also, the clip is useless and the big pod will end up banging against your chest. However they would be great for the plane/train, since you're not moving much. They are also ok for plain old walking.

The ER-6is are sturdy enough to use in the gym or while running, and they're cheap enough that if you destroy them you won't be too upset. They don't give off much in the way of microphonics, which is important if you're moving around. There is a good clip that will let you clip the cord to your shirt so you don't accidentally rip them out of your ears with a barbell. Also, there are some folks who can never get used to IEMs, so if you don't like them you haven't wasted too much money (of course you can always sell them in the for sale forum).

One thing I should mention is that when you're working out and breathing hard, you'll have to get used to the sensation of how your breath and heartbeat sounds with IEMs in. It was a little odd the first few times, but now I never notice it anymore.

So here's how I use mine: For running, gym and grass cutting it's the ER-6is. For the bus and for listening in bed it's the iM716s.

By the way, you will not need an amp for the ER-6is; they are very efficient. It's probably debatable for the iM716's, but I do not use one.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0051215 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for the ambiguous title, but thought it might help get a few more people to read a thread from a newbie!

I know there are a few already regarding IEMs (or ICMs or whatever - I don't want to start a debate over semantics!) but I thought I'd start a new one to solve my little conundrum, so here goes:

I do a lot of air miles through my job and decided that the isolation inherent in IEMs is the way forward for me, esp. as I like to travel light - which brings me onto the fact that I really don't want to have to employ an amp to get the most out of the things! Also because I'll be using the 'phones in the gym/ running/ on train etc etc I don't want the extra bulk, but do want comfort and durability (I don't ask for much, do I?!).

The other thing is that I'm playing music from a Creative Zen (soon to be replaced by the new 160Gb iPod classic) and although I always compress at the highest settings, to be honest, not much of my music uses lossless compression - I know, not brilliant - but I'm not prepared to give up all the music I've collected* from friends and downloads over the years.

(* for 'collected', see 'stolen')

Money isn't necessarily an object as I do like to treat myself on occasion, but I'm not going to pay through the nose for something I'm not going to fully appreciate.....I started looking at the shure 530's or Ety ER4P's for example. But came to the conclusion that there is no point in having top quality phones that reach the highest of highs or deepest of lows - if my music does not! Besides anything that is too 'analytical' (as I have heard the Ety's being called) will no doubt draw attention to compression and become very fatiguing, esp. as I spent a few years at uni doing some music production (and now do a bit as a kind of hobby) so my ears are geared towards analytical listening.

So with that in mind, I don't really mind if the IEM's are a little 'warm' or 'musical' - but I do want as decent as set as I can get my hands on!

Models I have come across that might fit the bill are:
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3/ or 5eb's
Etymotic ER-6i
Denon AH C700

But I'm open to suggestion and advice - and as I'm new to Head-Fi, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for listening......to those that are still here.

Gav

Of those you listed that will suit your needs, the Denon C700 may be the best choice, as they might not make your compressed music sound really bad, but with a good source they will just get better. I have some of those.

I also have the ER6i and they need an amp with bass boost and they might be too detailed for your needs, revealing flaws in the compressed music and sounding squawky with some rock.

You might want to first try some JVC Marshmallows, and make sure you like the feel of IEM's - you might actually find they sound far better than you'd expect from their price ($20-25 shipped on ebay).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back