IEM's like Beyer DT-770
Oct 31, 2007 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Since I don’t have too much time, I’ll get straight to the point.
I love my Beyer DT 770 and their sound, but they are a bit to big to walk around with – especially in the summer. So, I’m thinking of getting some nice IEM’s to go with my iPod>Go-Vibe V5 setup and I would like some help on finding the right one for me.

I’m looking for a pair that is fast and big in the sound and isn’t too shrill (as Grado tends to be). I listen a lot on Sludge/ Post-hardcore (Neurosis, ISIS etc.), Black metal and Death metal. I have approx. $230 US to spend.

Thanks in advance…
/Chopha

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 16
You want IEMs that have to be woodied and recabled to sound their best? Aren't you worried about splinters in your eardrums?

Sorry, just bored and threadcrapping...
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 16
This is easy. Super.fi 5 EB.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 16
I find the Superfi 5 pro sound more balanced than the Bassier version which has a bit too much down below for my tastes.

In comparison to the Shure IEM's, the Superfi pro is a real heavyweight with what seems to be a roll off in the treble region. Any more bass for me would be too much.

Ian

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the Superfi 5 pro sound more balanced than the Bassier version which has a bit too much down below for my tastes.

In comparison to the Shure IEM's, the Superfi pro is a real heavyweight with what seems to be a roll off in the treble region. Any more bass for me would be too much.

Ian

Except that the Super.fi 5 Pros have significantly less bass than the 770-80s, while the Super.fi 5 EBs have about the same amount (I go back and forth in which I think has more bass).

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 16
super.fi 5 EB. no IEM will ever give the airy big bass sensation of fullsize headphones, there's just something different about bass hitting your entire ear rather than just your pinna, sounds too closed in. with that said, the EB's have incredible bass for an IEM, more in quantity than any fullsize headphone i've heard.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 16
But are the UE Superfi-EB really something for me?
I like the sound of my DT-770, but I'm not interested in quantity of bass, it's the quality I'm looking for. Sure the bass won't be sloppy and overwhelming in some fast and messy Black metal? How is the soundstage on them? Forgot to mention that I listen a bit on Aphex Twin and Shpongle (sound-stage cravers)

/Chopha

EDIT:
How about the Shure E4c and/or Shure SE310? They look like killers! Anything for me?

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 16
well if you want a little less bass, then super.fi 5 pro's sound about right for you, or as some said, the Atrio M5's.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 16
Atrio M5 from roaddog. The only other competitor is the Denon C700 which is also said to have nice, rich bass without infringing into the mids.

For post-hardcore I would think twice about the Super.fi 5 EB because the genre relies on clean screaming that would just get destroyed by an over-encumbrance of bass, but that's just me. I can only imagine how fatiguing metal would be with such a high bass-response, because dear me, there would be no vocals to discern!

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 16
"Clean Screaming" is an oxymoron.

The Denon C700 don't like to be played loud,

The Shures below SE530 (heard) or below SE420 (not heard) don't have enough bass,

The Super.fi 5 pro (heard) or EB (never heard) are more in your department I'd guess.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But are the UE Superfi-EB really something for me?
I like the sound of my DT-770, but I'm not interested in quantity of bass, it's the quality I'm looking for. Sure the bass won't be sloppy and overwhelming in some fast and messy Black metal? How is the soundstage on them? Forgot to mention that I listen a bit on Aphex Twin and Shpongle (sound-stage cravers)

Its not sloppy, but if you want maximal definition but less quantity then the Super.fi 5 Pros will work well. And they have good soundstage (for an IEM). I own them as well. As a general rule, armatures are more precise but have less bass.

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Clean Screaming" is an oxymoron.

The Denon C700 don't like to be played loud,

Haha...it's an acquired taste, but I like my screams to sound clear with an almost piercing quality. If the bass is overwhelming, it sounds like the person is practically drowning underwater. Different strokes for different folks.

And the Denons are at 16 ohms...it's not like you have to turn it up by much to get some good volume. Is there something else that we should know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back