iems just TOO loud, attenuator options? (not shure/ue)
Mar 10, 2010 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

patalp

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm using UE TF10 iems into a Zune 30 original and sometimes even volume 1 is too loud for me. I have both the shure adjustable attenuator and the ultimate ears attenuator and they both noticeably lower the sound quality by cutting off the treble, so they are useless for this issue.

What do you guys do, or would recommend me do? It's just too loud to use my IEM.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 14
Every attenuator will alter the sound. There's no getting around it. Change the output impedance, change the sound. I have tried this with multiple attenuators, both oem and homemade, different resistance values, different iems and with different players. All consistent results.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 14
I was thinking of experimenting with a homemade attenuator. Probably 75Ω to emulate the switch on an xm5 to start, then go from there. I was wondering what the best configuration for the device would be, two resistors-one per channel[the "t" and "r"], or one on the ground["s"] or some other setup

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 14
I have the same problem: the FitEar Private 333 is sometimes too loud for me on volume 1 of the iPod touch. But, I've found amps work better than attenuators for keeping the sound in a certain bias. Attenuators, as said above, alter the sound.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 14
If you use mp3 files, use a program like mp3gain to equalize all your mp3 files at a lower relative volume. Doing so will mean that you will need to use a higher volume level to get the same level of loudness you are getting now - or a lower one to make them quieter.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use mp3 files, use a program like mp3gain to equalize all your mp3 files at a lower relative volume. Doing so will mean that you will need to use a higher volume level to get the same level of loudness you are getting now - or a lower one to make them quieter.

x2) I mp3gain all my mp3s. It also helps reduce clipping by reducing the overall volume of the song.
No quality is lost either, because you are only reducing the volume tags of the mp3 file.
MP3Gain Downloads

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm using UE TF10 iems into a Zune 30 original and sometimes even volume 1 is too loud for me. I have both the shure adjustable attenuator and the ultimate ears attenuator and they both noticeably lower the sound quality by cutting off the treble, so they are useless for this issue.

What do you guys do, or would recommend me do? It's just too loud to use my IEM.

The ultimate ears attenuator is the airplane adapter that came with TF10, right?
Have you tried any amp that has volume control? I know Fiio E5 allows you to increase/decrease the volume, but can't say if it cuts out the high freq much.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 14
SEt it to Zero then if 1 is too loud. Sound still comes out of my iTouch at zero setting (lowest setting) should be the same for your Zune.

I find it very hard to believe though that Level 1 is still too loud for you. You must have a dog's hearing.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried any amp that has volume control? I know Fiio E5 allows you to increase/decrease the volume, but can't say if it cuts out the high freq much.

This is one of my main uses of the e5 actually, as a volume attenuator. It works quite well and doesn't distort in any fashion that I've noticed.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 14
Yes, I am not joking. Volume 1 on my zune is sometimes too loud for me; it isn't deafening, but sometimes it is a little uncomfortable. It's like what shigzeo said.

Unfortunately, I don't have any amps nor experience with them and I don't have any headfi friends in real life, haha.
I'll try out the mp3gain program! That sounds like a great idea, I always got annoyed at shuffle mode because there are sometimes big jumps in volume between tracks, thank you for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back