IEMs iPhone 4S Under $200USD
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GSRWRC

New Head-Fier
Ok guys, I'll start by apologizing. From digging through the forums I realize this has been covered heaps of times, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for my particular requirements. Try not to shoot me for my n00bness :)

Anyhoo! Up until now I've been using Skullcandy FMJs and have been reasonably happy with them, until someone pointed out that they're not particularly great in comparison to other stuff available in the price range. It didn't really bother me, but the FMJs are starting to fail on me now so instead of straight replacing them - I'm beginning to wonder what I'm missing out on.
Now, I quite like the design and fit of the FMJs (and the fact that they're NOT white) So if you guys in the know could suggest something similar, but better I'd be grateful!

My music taste is mainly Metal/Rock, with a little bit of Rap and Electronica thrown in for good measure. I watch a bit of Video too. Youtube and some TV/Movies (Nightshifts at work heh). I've looked into Apple dual driver IEMs on our Local Apple store, which seem pricey when compared to eBay (not sure how to pick the fakes though). $143NZD, (approx $114USD) and they're white which I'd rather avoid.

Basic requirements:

Under $200USD
NOT White
Reasonable Bass (But not Bass heavy)
Not too chunky in the earpiece, after something a bit subtle
Mic optional

Thanks in advance!

Jarred.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 3
I went with a pair of Brainwavz M2 from amazon for $65 on sale and love them.  I ended up not liking the fit with the stock tips so I purchased some Comply T-400 tips ( medium ) and the fit issues went away.  I gave them to Tyll Hertsens to measure and listen to and he said they sounded good and measured well.

Here are the charts:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

Personally I really like them because they sound really great for the price and have a better build than most other IEM's.  They are strain relieved on both stems of the ear pieces which is a huge plus and the connector is angled such that it plugs into my iPod touch with hard case.  They do not have a mic and stick out a tad from your ears so perhaps you will not like them.

Have you tried joker's master IEM list:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-186-iems-compared-xears-nature-n3i-xe200pro-added-8-01

Users who are viewing this thread

Back