IEM's hiss, white noise
Dec 17, 2018 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markito331

New Head-Fier
i just bought ATH- COR150iS IEM's, and there is come pretty noticeable background hiss. i listen classical music wich recorded very quiet, so i use them at max software volume, the hiss is there wether i connect them to my fiio e10k or to my sony xperia l1, using always TIDAL hi-fi streaming service.

the hiss is there all the time, most noticeable in quiet parts of the work, or in-between movements.

any help? thx

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 8
i just bought ATH- COR150iS IEM's, and there is come pretty noticeable background hiss. i listen classical music wich recorded very quiet, so i use them at max software volume, the hiss is there wether i connect them to my fiio e10k or to my sony xperia l1, using always TIDAL hi-fi streaming service.

the hiss is there all the time, most noticeable in quiet parts of the work, or in-between movements.

any help? thx

The hiss is caused by the source in most cases. You can try a cable swap, but if you have sensitive (low impedance) IEMs, they're going to hiss based on the source output. If you search around the internet, you may be able to find solutions to eliminate hiss.

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Try the iFi iEMatch. It’s made specifically to solve this problem.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 8
IEMatch is the way to go. Alternatively, the ifi ear buddy attenuator adapter works well too at half the cost.
Ear buddy gets rid of all the hiss from moderately noisy sources on all my sensitive IEMs. It's the same thing as the IEMatch without the controls and set between the two settings of the IEMatch.

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 8
Ear buddy gets rid of all the hiss from moderately noisy sources on all my sensitive IEMs. It's the same thing as the IEMatch without the controls and set between the two settings of the IEMatch.
It's NOT the same. output impedance is higher on the EarBuddy so if your IEM has low impedance it can change the sound.

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Buy an SMSL M6 for my Ausiosense T800 (8 Ohm). When I connected them there was a lot of hiss. I bought an Ear Buddy and the hiss disappeared but some of the bass also disappeared.

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 8
It's NOT the same. output impedance is higher on the EarBuddy so if your IEM has low impedance it can change the sound.
I should have mentioned that. Earbuddy is 2.7ohm output impdance with 16db signal reduction where the IEMatch is either 2.5ohm/12db or 1ohm/24db based on the setting of High or Ultra. (Also IEMatch supports balanced 3.5mm connections if you're into that)

So the Earbuddy is good down to IEMs with an impedance of no lower than 22ohms to stay within the generally reccomended 1:8 ratio of output to load. Strangely though, the IEMatch specs state only as low as 16ohm loads from the IEMs are supported, though a 1ohm impedance should be acceptable for 8ohm IEMs. So aside from that, with unbalanced loads over 22ohms, the earbuddy would then sit right between the IEMatch's two settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back