IEMs Haters...
Aug 18, 2006 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

GIGANTOID

100+ Head-Fier
Do so from the lofty perch of 100+ years of product development by hundreds (if not thousands) of companies and governments. From the amateur inventor to the coporate lab rat. With speaker development in parallel to help and guide.

IEMs have been around what? maybe 20 years with a half dozen or so companies now in full on development.

I think they sound pretty damn good for 2 tiny things you jam up inside your head. Drawbacks? Sure. But I'm certain one day we'll look back at conventional headphones as quaint.

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 36
I think the title and initial post seems to invite many colorful posts to this thread, should be fun though.

I do not care for IEMs, but are good for those whom travel a lot, or have noisy commutes to places, along with musicians..etc

Aug 18, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 36
I love my IEMs, I don't know what I'd do without them. My ER4s certainly sound better than any full-size headphone I own.

Aug 18, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 36
Having only heard/used Shure E2c's, I can say I definitely prefer supra/circumaural headphones over IEMs... in fact, I am not a fan of IEMs at all.

However, there are definite advantages to IEMs that connot be discounted entirely. If I had the money, the E500s would definitely be on my list of cans to get, but as it stands, I will likely never own a pair until I can afford custom Ultimate Ears. In otherwords... I may never own IEMs!

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 36
ive always wanted the best possible sound without looking like a proper audiophile geek.

i know this also might cause a stir but i cant see myself walking around with a pair of over the ear headphones.

thats the reason why i got myself into the IEM game ang got some e4's. well actually apart from that and sony mdr e888's i have had no other headphone experience!

i would like to one day have a good pair of over the ear headphones but i wouldnt use them outside.

IEM's are still my preference until i have more experience with over the ears. they just rule when it comes to trains and londons underground which is loud as hell.

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 36
The essential goal of a music reproducing system is the enjoyment it gives to the listener; SQ is a means, not a goal.
And I've had many great moments enjoying music through IEMs.

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 36
I used to be really into the whole IEM thing, but since I joined Head-fi and discovered the world of circumaural/earpad headphones, I am never going back to those fancy earplugs. They do work wonders on airplanes and in travel, but for a large majority of my music listening time I have no need for isolation. Half the time IEMs aren't worth it even when I am on the move due to comfort and seal issues.

That said, I think that cans will continue to prosper atleast until a major breakthrough in IEMS is acheived. I honestly can't justify spending $250-$500 on a headphone that isn't even guarunteed to fit me and only sound decent.

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran
ive always wanted the best possible sound without looking like a proper audiophile geek.

i know this also might cause a stir but i cant see myself walking around with a pair of over the ear headphones.

thats the reason why i got myself into the IEM game ang got some e4's. well actually apart from that and sony mdr e888's i have had no other headphone experience!

i would like to one day have a good pair of over the ear headphones but i wouldnt use them outside.

IEM's are still my preference until i have more experience with over the ears. they just rule when it comes to trains and londons underground which is loud as hell.

True, that. Summer temps where I live are typically 90 plus degrees F. You don't want a cup over your ear in those conditions.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
Just don't chew while wearing them.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke.
etysmile.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

IEMs have been around what? maybe 20 years with a half dozen or so companies now in full on development.

Wasn't the first (consumer/audiophile) IEM the ER4? That wasn't that long ago that it was released. Was it?

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Wasn't the first (consumer/audiophile) IEM the ER4? That wasn't that long ago that it was released. Was it?

Yes it was, and it was 20 years ago.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back