IEMs for working out, powered by 2G Shuffle - around $100-$200
Mar 8, 2010 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pacmantravis

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some IEMs that will serve double duty as my work out headphones and as my casual listening laptop headphones (which may or may not be amped)

I had some UE Super.fi 5 EB's which were bass monsters. I don't really remember too much about them as this was a couple of years ago, but I remember that at times they would get too muddy for me.

Here is what I'm looking for in order of priority:

1 - Ability to stay in place/comfort while running (treadmill)
2 - Deep, punchy bass with clear mids and highs
3 - Can be driven and sound pretty decent coming out of a second generation shuffle UNAMPED (or similar device since this has not been purchased yet)

My Super.fi 5 EB's would pop out while running (using foam or rubber tips) and I had a pair of Sony EX-81's that also would lose their seal (im a sweaty guy).

While some people would suggest not getting IEMs since I sweat, I need the isolation as I prefer to get lost in my music when I work out.

I'm hoping that I can purchase the shure olives as replaceable tips and this will help with the comfort/isolation issue.

Any ideas on what IEM's I should look at?

I really want to spend around $100, but I have an absolute maximum of $200.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 9
I have no trouble working out with my HJE900s, but apparently they have a bit of a heavy body according to others(I have no other IEM) to compare with, so they might fall out. They fit your sound and efficiency requirements, but there are probably better options for staying in your ear.

If you wan't the absolute best fit and seal, I would recommend stuffing silicone tips with decored complies. My seal as such with my sony hybrids and complies was so good, I was afraid I would damage the drivers XD. Every single time I put them in my ear, I would get that driver pop from that tight seal. I lost my my complies in the process of A/Bing though =[

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm also thinking about the Monster Turbine Gold's, anyone have experience with those?

Fit and the ability to stay in place are most important, so if any of these will stay in place with custom tips, that would work too.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 9
I have tried a few IEMs for working out but have never found any that could withstand the sweat and stay in place. I used to get about 15 minutes out of my Sony IEM's but they would start slipping out.

I started going with a couple of sony headphones....both are designed workout headphones. Only problem is they are not the best sounding. So when I get on a treadmill now, I use the Senn PX100. I used the other sony's for everything else.

It's a difficult market, because the sound on waterproof earbuds never seems to equal all the other IEMs. You might try the CX660? I think that's the one from Senn.

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 9
IE7 works great at the gym and running 3-6 miles.

All my IEMs are bought strictly for working out.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 9
I was thinking about getting the HF5s with some Shure Olives.

They seem pretty lightweight and from reviews they look like they may be what Im looking for in terms of SQ.

Decisions, decisions.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 9
IE7, S4, Eterna, D-Jays, FX500, C710, ATH_CKS70 and EX700......

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 9
I bought some HJE900's and got them in the mail today. Hooked them up to my ipod touch and they sound pretty damn decent. The bass has lots of impact and is plenty fine for me. My old EB's had more bass, but these are much clearer.

I just saw a deal on Monster Turbine Pro Coopers for $175, so I ordered those today and will compare the two when I get them next week. Woot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back