IEM's for work, good amount of bass and good isolation $150ish
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
Well I'm planning on getting a $400-$500IEM but I realized I don't really wanna take those to work and on the go every day and I probably wont be able to appreciate them because of the background noise plus I would like iPod control so I can pause it quick to talk to people which narrows my options. I want good isolation, detail and good mildly accentuated bass but with good treble extension too, it doesn't have to be boosted like the TF10's but I want it to be there not just rolled off to nothing.

I'm looking at Shure SE215i's, Nuforce NE-700M, Think Sound TSO2, UE TF10's ($160 sold by amazon), UE600Vi, UE700, Monster Turbines, Monster Turbines Pro Gold with control talk ($160ish on amazon). (I know its a pretty random mix of BA and Dynamics)

General consensus is that the Turbines are good but when I look at the Pros it starts to confuse me. I usually see comments like "The Regular Turbines are a good headphone but the pro golds are even better but are overly bassy" (or overly bright) or that the coppers sound much better but too warm and laid back or mid forward or what ever, its like they always throw in a give and take when reviewing either Pro model. I was going to just give up and go with the Regular Turbines or the SE215's but now the Golds and TF10's have dropped under $200.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 9
I've only heard the Monster Turbine Gold the the UE TripleFi 10 of those you mentioned, but from hearing those, the Turbines sounds bland and have some of the worst bass quality I've heard in any IEM over $100. The TripleFi 10 on the other hand has a bit less bass, but what it does have is strong and tight, not sloppy, and the treble is beautiful, if very slightly sibilant at some times. I just can't get over how ugly the Golds sounded to me, and then realizing that they cost a few hundred dollars. As for Shures, if their flagship is anything to go by, I really don't care for the sound of their SE535's from listening to them at a headphone convention. After having listened to those three, a few Etymotics, and a newly purchased Klipsch Image X10, I'd say the UE TripleFi is the best sounding, and it even has removable cables in case they ever break.

A word of caution: the TripleFi 10 is a large IEM with three speakers in it, and may not fit your ear well. I've had this experience, and it took me a few days to figure out how to bend the memory wire correctly, the correct angel of insertion, and which tips worked best.

Good luck in your search.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I've only heard the Monster Turbine Gold the the UE TripleFi 10, but from hearing those, the Turbines sounds bland and have some of the worst bass quality I've heard in any IEM over $100. The TripleFi 10 on the other hand has a bit less bass, but what it does have is strong and tight, not sloppy, and the treble is beautiful, if very slightly sibilant at some times. I just can't get over how ugly the Golds sounded to me, and then realizing that they cost a few hundred dollars. As for Shures, if their flagship is anything to go by, I really don't care for the sound of their SE535's. After having listened to those three, a few Etymotics, and a newly purchased Klipsch Image X10, I'd say the UE TripleFi is the best sounding, and it even has removable cables in case they ever break.

A word of caution: the TripleFi 10 is a large IEM with three speakers in it, and may not fit your ear well. I've had this experience, and it took me a few days to figure out how to bend the memory wire correctly, the correct angel of insertion, and which tips worked best.

Good luck in your search.

See thats what I mean I know the sound signature of the TF10's but when it comes to the turbines its like there either crap or the best thing ever. How am I saposta know without listening to all of them? And the 215's are totally different inside the 3, 4 and 5's are all BA's the 215's are Dynamic's with extra bass.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 9
Ok, then look at it this way:

1. Ultimate ears sells only earphones, and they are used by professionals, IE: the TripleFi 10 has the same drivers as the Custom 10, used by recording artists.

2. Shure sells earphones, microphones, etc., and their mics are often used by professionals, but their earphones hardly at all, as they don't offer custom molds which are what most high level musicians use.

3. Monster sells expensive cables for A/V equipment, and their equipment is only used for visuals in music videos, not for any work that would require an accurate earphone to monitor with.

UE knows what they are doing, and caters to people who make a living with their products, Shure caters to artists who need sound equipment, not necessarily earphones, and Monster... well, Monster caters to he average consumer who hasn't heard much besides iPhonies.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 9
The JVC FX500(deep reverbing bass, good midrange details, exte[VIDEO][VIDEO][/VIDEO][/VIDEO]nded highs with wide soundstage) HSA crystal, FXT90(highly recommended) overall are detailed with good bass amount and they provide good isolation.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Ok, then look at it this way:

1. Ultimate ears sells only earphones, and they are used by professionals, IE: the TripleFi 10 has the same drivers as the Custom 10, used by recording artists.

2. Shure sells earphones, microphones, etc., and their mics are often used by professionals, but their earphones hardly at all, as they don't offer custom molds which are what most high level musicians use.

3. Monster sells expensive cables for A/V equipment, and their equipment is only used for visuals in music videos, not for any work that would require an accurate earphone to monitor with.

UE knows what they are doing, and caters to people who make a living with their products, Shure caters to artists who need sound equipment, not necessarily earphones, and Monster... well, Monster caters to he average consumer who hasn't heard much besides iPhonies.

I have learned one thing from this forum: don't judge an IEM by it's manufacturer. 

I used to do the same thing, but you would be surprised with some companies that make better IEMs than their name would be associated with and vica versa.  In my opinion, judge each IEM on its own for what it has to offer and don't make pre-mature assumptions based on who the manufacturer is.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
The JVC FX500(deep reverbing bass, good midrange details, extended highs with wide soundstage) HSA crystal, FXT90(highly recommended) overall are detailed with good bass amount and they provide good isolation.

know where to get the fxt90 for a decent price?

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 9
The musicaacoustics, accessoryjack, seyoshope sell these IEM
s(FXT90).

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I have learned one thing from this forum: don't judge an IEM by it's manufacturer. 

I used to do the same thing, but you would be surprised with some companies that make better IEMs than their name would be associated with and vica versa.  In my opinion, judge each IEM on its own for what it has to offer and don't make pre-mature assumptions based on who the manufacturer is.

While I agree with you that people would be surprised at the quality of some brands of earphones, I think it's different when you've had experience with many of that brands headphones performing poorly

EX: When you listen to most of a companies 'best' headphones, and they turn out to be terrible values, it's not illogical to stay away, because cheaper models will likely sound worse. I've listened to all of Monsters full size and on-ear headphones, the Turbine Pro Gold, and the Diddy Beats. Unless Monster turns around how they develop 'phones, I don't see them breaking away from the overpriced fashionable stock they are already marketing.

The same is even more true of Skullcandy. Having heard many of their IEMs, the Hesh, Skullcrushers, and the Aviators, I think it's safe to conclude that they aren't a company that is going to make a decent headphone any time soon, and if/when they did release something that got many positive reviews, it would be low on my list of things to try, as many other manufacturers have more reliably high performance headphones.

Anyway, I can't think of another company where I've listened to more than 5 'phones at various price points and felt them all to be sub par, so I think my disregard for is brands is based on my experience with their products more than just being judgmental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back