IEMs for up to 70$/50EUR; to use mainly with Nokia 5530XM
Jun 18, 2011 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Magnumman

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new to the forum boards, so please: be patient.

I already browsed through most of the reviews, comparisons and lists of IEMs here and on  a few other sites. However, that just helped me to narrow the list a bit. It's still hard for me to decide what should I choose.

I'm looking for IEMs to listen to mainly Classic Rock and Electronic/Trip-hop music. These are going to work with Nokia 5530 XM for most of the time and sometimes with Creative Muvo T200. No amping and definitely no initial mods.

They should cost up to 70 USD/ 50 EUR. I don't like bass much, still I like to have it 'pronounced' properly. The sound clarity is something I definitely like, but I don't think 'analytical' is the correct term here. I don't like the sound being too sharp (in an artificial way) either. Power (soundstage?) should be balanced as well, not completely overwhelming.

My list consists of:

MeElectronics M9
MeElectronics M6
Soundmagic PL30
Soundmagic PL50
MeElectronics CX21
NuForce NE-6
NuForce NE-700X
Beyerdynamic DTX 71E
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet
Head Direct RE2
Brainwavz M1

+ I was also considerning Xears' products that some reviewers recommend, but the build quality was said to be lower and I'm looking for something sturdy to last a bit, especially since I'm going to use these IEMs while walking or using public transport a lot. Interrupting sound in one/both of the channels after long-term use has always been my biggest problem.
Is that true Xears are that fragile?

Soundmagic PL50 somehow caught my attention in terms of comfort and sound quality. + it's an armature design. However, it's twice as expensive where I live as PL30 and some users say that actually it's a waste of money/ PL30s are better.

What do you think?

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Sorry I'm writing right under my first post, but maybe somebody will notice this.

I've narrowed down my list of phones:

NuForce NE6

NuForce 700X
SoundMagic PL30
SoundMagic PL50
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz M2

Of course, NE6, PL30 and M1 are much cheaper than the others.

I read that PL50 needs bigger power to reveal the real sound and I doubt that Nokia 5530 XM or Creative MuVo T200 would be sufficient. I'm not considering any amping either (is this necessary for such a low class of phones?), so that probably narrows the list even more.

Please, give me some feedback regarding the fact I'm looking for this  'crystal, clear sound with proper yet not overwhelming bass and warmer feeling, not something too analytical'. As I said, I listen mainly to Classic Rock, sometimes Prog Rock (Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree mainly) and Electronica - Trip-Hop, still, no Techno, Dubstep, Trance, etc.

I'm looking forward to your advice. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back