IEMs for up to £100 - Neutral sound - Driven by Galaxy S3
Jan 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ProTofik

Head-Fier
Hello.
I am looking for IEMs for up to £100. I am going to use them mainly in the bus or while walking on the streets. 
As a Sennheiser HD600 user I prefer neutral sounding headphones without much colouration. I don't have any experience with earphones except my current Klipsh S4. 

I prefer neutral sounding without emphasising anything. I would like my IEMs to be neutral or maybe a bit warm (but not warmer than HD650).
I will use them mainly with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Int ver - GT-l9300). I may consider getting some small amp (like Fiio E5) if that would be necessary but I would prefer not to. 

My requirements are:
-Neutral or a bit warm sounding
-Good isolation
-Good for all genres of music
-Fits good in ear (I need to correct my Klipsh S4 every few minutes because they're falling out)
-Max £100

As I said I use only full sized headphones so that would be my first pair of decent earphones. 
Is there anything on the market that fits my needs? 

Thanks. 

*My first thread on this forum, yeey.
*Sorry for my english :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Give the Etymotic HF2/5 a try (HF2 has single button remote+mic for your S3) or maybe a Phonak PFE 1xx if you can get it for the price.  They tend to be pretty neutral.  The HiFiMan RE400 is also very neutral in nature as well.  

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 12
-Etymotic HF2
I don't want volume control nor mic. Galaxy S3 won't be my source forever.

-Etymotic HF5
Too expensive (£122 on amazon)

-HiFiMan RE400
I can't find them on amazon nor ebay.

I will have a read about these Phonak.
Can anyone who has them tell me anything about how comfortable they are? Do you need to correct them every couple of minutes? How long can you have them in your ear without feeling discomfort?

Well, they seem to be too expensive as well. £120 on the amazon and ebay. 

Edit: What do you guys think about Westone 1?

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 12
I dont know about the westone one. If its anything like my um1s you wont like it. Try the rockit r50s or the brainwavz b2. Theyre neutral with punchy and tight bass. Ive tries the etys. Theyre quite thin. Especially the lower end ones.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
-Etymotic HF2
I don't want volume control nor mic. Galaxy S3 won't be my source forever.

-Etymotic HF2
Too expensive (£122 on amazon)

-HiFiMan RE400
I can't find them on amazon nor ebay.

I will have a read about these Phonak.
Can anyone who has them tell me anything about how comfortable they are? Do you need to correct them every couple of minutes? How long can you have them in your ear without feeling discomfort?

Well, they seem to be too expensive as well. £120 on the amazon and ebay. 

Edit: What do you guys think about Westone 1?

Hm, the HF5 normally can be found for around 100 USD (~75 euro) on Amazon (Amazon direct, warranty supported) if you wait for it.  The RE-400 is sold through HiFiMan (Head-Direct) only right now as it's a new product.  It retails for 100 dollars (~75 euro).  

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 12
The only thing I am afraid of is that the IEMs with silicon tips won't sit well in my ears.
Are there any iems with foam tips in my price range? I think they may be better but IDK. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
The only thing I am afraid of is that the IEMs with silicon tips won't sit well in my ears.
Are there any iems with foam tips in my price range? I think they may be better but IDK. 

The HF5s do come with two pairs of foam tips.  One they call the mushroom tip (because it's shaped like a mushroom) and one conventional, medium sized foam tip.  The PFE 1xx series also comes with a few pair of foam tips as well (Comply).  Comply Foam also has foam tips for all the IEMs above, you just have to find a model that will fit the size of the bore (Comply has done the HF5 and Phonak for you if you go to their site).  If you want something for the RE-400, you'll have to search for an IEM with the same sized bore as the 400s.  I haven't had enough experience with all of Comply's tips to give you that information though.  

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Give the Etymotic HF2/5 a try (HF2 has single button remote+mic for your S3) or maybe a Phonak PFE 1xx if you can get it for the price.  They tend to be pretty neutral.  The HiFiMan RE400 is also very neutral in nature as well.  

You wrote PFE 1xx instead of full model number? Why is that? Is the colour the only difference between 111 and 112?
Can anyone compare (if it is possible) the sound signature of these IEMs to some full sized cans for me?
Thanks

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
You wrote PFE 1xx instead of full model number? Why is that? Is the colour the only difference between 111 and 112?
Can anyone compare (if it is possible) the sound signature of these IEMs to some full sized cans for me?
Thanks

Long explanation: PFE 1xx includes 5 models, 111, 112, 121, 122, and 132.  If the second number is not 1, it means it has a remote and mic attached (2 = single button mic, 3 = triple button mic), if it's a 1, it means an audio only cable.  The last number dictates color (black or white; I think 2 for silver 1 for black don't quote me on that).  The first number represents the series (what filters it comes with as well as drivers inside).  The 1 and 0 series both come with the same drivers internally, tuned the same too.  The only difference is that the 1 series comes with black (v-shaped sig) and grey (neutral sig) filters and the 0 comes with a green filter (bass-heavy sig).  Other than that, all of them are the same.  

Short explanation: all the 0 and 1 tier PFE models (PFE models that start with 1 or 0) use the same internal driver setup.  The only difference is whether or not the cables have a mic, as well as color and filters included.  The 0 tier come with green filters (bass-heavy) while the 1 tier come with 2 filters, black (v-shape) and grey (neutral).  Everything else is the same.  Instead of listing 5 models, I generally just list it as the PFE 1xx (technically speaking, it should be 1xy).  They are the same though.  

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 12
Thank you for a very nice explanation.
From all the IEMs mentioned above I think I will get PFE 112 (black).
They're £20 over my budget but I hope it will be worth it.

Just one more question before I go.
Would they benefit from amp such as Fiio E5 or my S3 will drive them well?
I don't want to carry my O2 with me :)

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Have yet to come across the HD600 signature in IEM form, would pay serious money for that. Aside from that you are not going to replicate the sound stage and airy quality full size has in an IEM. The budget Phonaks are decent from my recollection of demoing the one time, just be aware they are going to be different to the HD600 (would refer back to my opening sentence before you go asking for an alternative)

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 12
I am not expecting the sound quality of HD600 nor HD650 anyway. I just want something with better SQ and comfort of wearing than klipsch S4.
I am pretty decided to get phonaks after reading some reviews.

From what I've read it's better to listen to these on my source and decide myself if they need amping or not.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back