IEMs for tiny ears?
Dec 7, 2005 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eddiewalker

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at a pair of IEMs for portable use but I'm worried that whatever I order simply won't fit in my ear.

During a few check ups I've had doctors mention how small my ear opening is. I'm a broadcast audio engineer (sporting events almost exclusively) and on the job we use Audio Implements IFB earpieces so that talent can hear their cues while on camera. I also tend to wear one for communication because I have it handy and they isolate well.

The driver (2k ohm for those curious) clips to the back of the collar and the small air tube runs over and into the ear.
ifb0021yl.jpg

Far from hi-fi. In fact they sound awful, but I thought it warranted explaining.

Now for the problem. I wear the one on the left. In a set of 12 sizes, that's the absolute smallest they make. Its slightly smaller than a standard q-tip and is still a snug fit.

The one on the right is the smallest flanged tip available and there is no hope of it EVER sliding into my ear. Next to it is a standard 1/4" plug.

ifb0013rx.jpg

I don't want to be stuck with an IEM that i can't even jam into my ear. Is there any hope?

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Most IEMs do come with a fit kit. At least Shure does. This ranges from small, medium to large. Guree you'll wont have much problem getting a suitable size.

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 9
they're expensive, but what about a custom IEM from ultimate ears or sensaphonics?

on the cheaper end, etymotic actually makes these tiny foamies for the er4p/s. i ordered them because i have relatively small ear canals...and they were too small even for me. i still have a bunch of unused ones...if you have er4p/s and want to try these foamies, i can send you a pair to try.

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
they're expensive, but what about a custom IEM from ultimate ears or sensaphonics?

on the cheaper end, etymotic actually makes these tiny foamies for the er4p/s. i ordered them because i have relatively small ear canals...and they were too small even for me. i still have a bunch of unused ones...if you have er4p/s and want to try these foamies, i can send you a pair to try.

Have you got a link on these tiny foams? The er4 was actually what I've been eyeing.

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 9
What about custom molds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back