IEM's for teeny tiny ears?
Oct 19, 2005 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Riku540

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, so the short version of the story is that I introduced my friend to the high-end audio world recently. I let him try out my UE super.fi 5 Pro's and he was blown away. The problem was, he couldn't maintain a good seal, or a seal at all even. He literally had to hold them in place. We tried every size and kind of ear tip, and none including the foams would stay. When I took a look at his ear canal, I realized that it wasn't even the size of a pea. I came to the conclusion that A) he'd have to try a different IEM brand, or B) He'd just have to get headphones.

Now I must say, my friend is tends to be closed minded once he finds something he likes. Since he likes the UE's, he wants the UE's. Unfortunately, it will be difficult for him to accept the fact that they just don't fit. Customs are WAY out of his budget (and unfortunately mine as well). He is stuck on the fact that if he must go with another brand, they must have dual drivers. However, his ideal price range is $150 or less, and I told him that there is no dual driver IEM that sells that low in price.

Now for the part that matters; what should I recommend to him? I have never demoed any other IEM's before, so for the time being I recommended the Grado SR125's to be safe. Since they're headphones there shouldn't be any fitting problems and they are exactly $150. I still think he really wants a pair of good IEM's though opposed to headphones. So two questions: How do single driver IEMs hold up against dual drivers, and which brand if any will fit easiest for extremely small ear canals (universal fit, no custom tips)? He mostly listens to upbeatish punk rock like Something Corporate, and his main concerns is that they have decent bass and especially good treble, and most importantly, they fit comfortably. Any advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 7
I can relate!! I started with shure e2c's. I could wear them but they were not really comfortable. I can't wear any buds I've tried cause they are just too big. I went up to the e3c's & now the e4c's & both of them fit very well with the small flex sleeves. The sound with the e4c's is very good to my ears. The bass is plenty & the rest is very balanced & clear. But you can find lots of threads about the sound of these. The fit is great for my small ears! Oh & I guess my head is just small too b/c I can't wear any grados w/out the beyer headband added b/c they are also too big!!!

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 7
ety er4p/s have tips that are tiny...they're beige foam ones that are the smallest i've seen. i have tiny ears as well, and the small ones were too small!

you can find the ety er4p for about $150 around here and they're fantastic for that price, IMO.

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Every single driver model that I've tried has two basic problems:

1) bass extension
2) treble sharpness

Now, this list so far includes the ER-4P, ER-4S, and E4 - no the E3 or the new UM1. So, obviously, since the UM1 is reputed to have less treble sharpness than the E4 and the like, I can't comment on it.

I think that you should let your friend audition as much gear as you can get your hands on. Try the E4 - who knows, maybe he'll like the detail? Try the Grados and the 5x5 series Senns for a full-size solution, they shouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe try for a refurbished HD580 and an amp - that will have a similar signature to the super.fi's but oh so much better! HD580's can really cook in the right system. If it's for him, use his ears!

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Every single driver model that I've tried has two basic problems:

1) bass extension
2) treble sharpness

Now, this list so far includes the ER-4P, ER-4S

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=140301&page=1
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back