IEM's for stage performance
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Novaman

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at custom IEM's for playing on stage. I've been using stock shure SCL5's but find them slipping during the set. I got some custom sleeves made for them but the sleeves make the whole thing pretty bulky out the ear. What would you guys recommend in the various price ranges? Are there any sub $500 pro musician grade custom IEM's out there?

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 5
ER4P have been musician grade for over 10 years.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 5
Are you looking for customs specifically? I'm not aware of any custom IEMs that are specifically designed for on-stage, monitor, performance that are less than $500- the Westone ES series past ES1(x) are over $500 and the UE's 10's are significantly past that figure also (though the UE5's and UE7's I know little about TBH); all other customs options I know of are more aimed at personal listening, as far as I know- but Westone are due to release the UM3x universal that is aimed at on-stage performaance and/or monitoring. That is a universal fit, however. Then again, you could get those when released later this month and then the UM56 custom eartips for them; that'll should be within your $500 mark.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Novaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks- What about those livewires I hear, or C3 or sleeks- I really know nothing about them.

Yeah, as I say, I'm not overly clued up on Customs as I've not yet shopped for or own a pair. However, having spent a lot of time reading these forums, you do pick up things about and certainly learn something of the marketplace for customs, in a casual interest sense (at least for me). On that basis, as far as I know, the ones I mentioned above are the only 'true', or marketed on-stage/monitoring custom IEMs I'm aware of. I'm sure, like pretty much any IEM, options like the Livewires, HearYourself line and Sleek customs, aswell as others, could easily be used for that purpose, however the ones I mentioned are the only ones i'm aware of that are specifically designed for that purpose, or, have been cited as weell-suited to that purpose, as opposed to for personal listening. Then again, apart from the reputed benefit of a flat response across the frequency range/neutrality, I don't know what is desired in properties for an in-ear monitor for on-stage performance and/or profesional application! So I'm only really going off that attribute (neutrailty), and whether and/or to what degree an IEM possesses it as to my 'recommendations' above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back