IEM's for Sony NWZ-A829 Help
Nov 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pcsplace

New Head-Fier
Hi guys lookiing to replace my Shure SE110 with something a little more special as they are now a bit "tired" looking and I am engar for an upgrade. Looking at Sleek SA6 or Shure SE530 or other high end models as long there is noticeable difference over my Se110's. Most of my audio is encoded at 192lps or above. I listen to everything from killers, kings of leon to linkin park to Jay-z. I travel on trains and buses alot so want to keep out unwanted background noise.

Can anyone advise if a high end IEM would be ok for my use and quality of my audio or would I be better with a mid range IEM that doesnt show up possible noise/quality issues with my audio.

Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated....

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd say go ahead with the best you can afford.
smily_headphones1.gif

If noise isolation is important for you, Shures, Etymotic Research and Westone are the ones to check out for.

As the saying goes: Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 8
I have Sony 729 ( so same player without bluetooth) and i use UM2. It is a great combo. On EQ depending on your tatstes increase the Tru bass and high end. The high end EQ tuning really helps UM2

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 8
I haven't really heard much about the UM2 ones, will take a look. My list has now increased to SE530, SA6 & UM2's!

Will i definately see a big improvement moving from SE110's to one of the high end IEM's? I want to make sure that I see the "bang for my buck" (or pound as i'm in uk!)

I am also concerned that the high-end headphones will show up any weakness in the quality of my audio files (currently 192kbps and above), should I be worried about this?

Animalsrush - what equaliser setting do you have on your 729? And what sound processing do you have enabled?

Thanks

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
192+kbps is iffy on "will you be able to listen to it" - just dont listen to the FLAC or CD version of the songs and you ought to be fine!

My tracks are usually downloaded from online stores at 192kbps in MP3 format, is this ok or will I notice audio noise etc? I don't want to spend ~$300+ if I am going to get a poor sound experience.

Out of SA6, UM2 and SE530 what will highlight any problems with the 192kbps audio files?

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcsplace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Animalsrush - what equaliser setting do you have on your 729? And what sound processing do you have enabled?

Thanks

I use Clear Stereo option, Set DSEE to on, All other optiosn are off. Set Tru Bass to +2 and set the highs to + 3 . Please note that u need to tweak them as u like them so i would do it in steps. Most of my mp3s are 256 kbps VBR. 192 Kbps should be fine but you may lose some clarity

PS: I normally start with standard EQ curve with Tru bass set to +2 then i start tweaking the highs. Keep in mind UM2s have a good mids and base. Only highs need tweaking

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Sony 729 ( so same player without bluetooth) and i use UM2. It is a great combo. On EQ depending on your tatstes increase the Tru bass and high end. The high end EQ tuning really helps UM2

I'm with you on this one. I have the UM2's paired withb the Sony A818 and its beautiful stuff. I'd recommend the UM2's ANYDAY. If the SE110's are anything like the SE210, you'll be blown away. I sure was! :]

I recommend buying from a Westone authorized dealer, they give you a cheaper price. (I paid them in cash, it was pretty funny).

I have my music at 128kbps(dont hate :p)-> 320kbps. I notice when I'm listening to the 320's but you dont lose AS much clarity. It's still mind blowing fun. Keep in mind though, I have about 100 hours of burn in and the bass goes from average pop to full on flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back