IEMs for sleeping, gym
Jun 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own the SE530, Westone 3's, and Senn IE8.

I always had problems with my SE530's, the only way to make them sound good and stay in place was with the Triple Flange Sleeves but they then stick out like Frankenstein monster ear pieces. Not good to sleep with but acceptable for the gym if you don't care about second glances. The price on the 530's is quite good and they have great sound.

I am currently trying the W3's for the gym, and can see how they would be okay to fall asleep over. The W3's, if fitted properly have incredible sound.

The Senn's 8 were difficult to get a good fit, managed to do it with the compfy tips, but they fall out of your ears with to much sweat. Sleeping would have been doable, I think. These have good sound as well but it leans more toward the bass end of the spectrum, but that can be a plus for the gym.

IE 8 don't need fit well to sound good. My experience is the better seal you got, the more muffled, boomy bass, and less soundsatge you would get.

The key point is finding a good spot to put it deep enough to keep IE8 inside ear, but not too deep down ear canal. All in all, it is better with shallow insertion. I saw a few headfiers except me agreed this method, it increase soundstage ,airiness, transparency, sacrifice a little warmness since IE8 has plenty of it, so I don't care

My 2 cent
dt880smile.png

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #18 of 24
Wouldn't you know it.. in the end I chose the Klipsch Image X10. Reviews sounded incredible with regards to comfort.. I guess I'll pass on using IEMs in the gym and focus on wonderful bedtime tunes. I end up being much more focused on lifting without them anyway.
smile_phones.gif

Just a hair under $170 shipped brand new, not bad. Expecting great things from these and a serious departure from my iM716.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 24
This is driving me CRAZY!

I just cancelled my order for the X10s and splurged on a pair of BNIB Sennheiser IE-8's from eBay for $280. I couldn't resist.. I love my HD25-1 IIs to death and I am really curious as to the sound of these babies.

Hopefully this is a good deal. I couldn't find them for less brand new anywhere else. I have a 7-day money back option in case things don't work out.

Who knows.. maybe they'll be good enough to replace my HD25-1 II and I can recuperate the extra $100 by selling off the latter!

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is driving me CRAZY!

I just cancelled my order for the X10s and splurged on a pair of BNIB Sennheiser IE-8's from eBay for $280. I couldn't resist.. I love my HD25-1 IIs to death and I am really curious as to the sound of these babies.

Hopefully this is a good deal. I couldn't find them for less brand new anywhere else. I have a 7-day money back option in case things don't work out.

Who knows.. maybe they'll be good enough to replace my HD25-1 II and I can recuperate the extra $100 by selling off the latter!

icon10.gif
Ha ha ha, you are the one that won the auction for the IE8. I thought I can steal that one.
atsmile.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 24
After reading through this, I would recommend the IE7's if the IE8's don't work out for you because the bass, I've heard, is stronger than the IE7's. From poking around here and on the internetz, I've found that other people may run in to fit issues but they fit me wonderfully and sit quite flush in my ear so I can lay on my side with them on and have actually fallen asleep with them on before.

I use either tips I made from foamie earplugs (super cheapie solution for going through tips) or the foamies included with the IE7's which I find to be very good as well.

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #22 of 24
I love bass! I don't think I'll be able to get enough of it.

But I might consider giving a go to the IE7 if the IE8 don't work out.. simply because I've see them having gone for a quarter of the cost! I sure hope the IE8 justify that extra $200.. Care to spare me a ton of reading through searches? (I'm exhausted. I must have read every evaluative thread on the Custom 3, W3, UM3X, IE8, and X10 five times over now..)

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love bass! I don't think I'll be able to get enough of it.

But I might consider giving a go to the IE7 if the IE8 don't work out.. simply because I've see them having gone for a quarter of the cost! I sure hope the IE8 justify that extra $200.. Care to spare me a ton of reading through searches? (I'm exhausted. I must have read every evaluative thread on the Custom 3, W3, UM3X, IE8, and X10 five times over now..)

Spare you a ton of reading through searches? What do you mean, by telling you if the IE8's justify the extra money? I'm not sure. I believe it's pretty subjective.

I know the IE8's have a wider soundstage, seem to require a longer burn-in period, and produce more low end than the IE7's do. From what I've read from comparisons, the IE7's are closer to being neutral than the IE8's are.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #24 of 24
Doing some reading anyway! Thanks though..

Presently I've had just about enough of neutrality with my iM716s on HD mode. I think I've heard every song in my collection as neutral as I'd ever want to (certainly not to suggest that the iM716 is as proficient as the IE7, just saying that the iM716 is definitely a neutral IEM). I really enjoy my HD25-1 II sound much more and I think the IE8 will sound much more like them.. if I can sleep on the side of my pillow with them I may very well be in heaven.

I'm very excited because it appears the IE8 is a "big" IEM within the ranks of the TF10Pro, SE530, UM3X. The last "big" IEM I had was the ER4 when Etymotic only had the UM2, SF5Pro, and E4c to worry about. Man, those were the days..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back