IEMs for school and sleeping in?
May 9, 2008 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Snicewicz

500+ Head-Fier
Well during my wait to buy new full size headphones I realized I need some IEMs.

I am curious which are comfortable sleeping in, do not leak alot, and are under $200 used or new.

I have no problem buying used, but I am leaning towards UE Super Fi 5s and Ety ER4P? Will these be good for what I am looking for?

I am not a basshead and I listen to mostly indie rock, hip hop and folk. Some classical too.

I plan on getting livewires but I dont have the time to get impressions for over a month

Oh and if you can, give me input about which headphones and amp too!

May 9, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 34
mm you should really consider the q-JAYS if you're actually considering sleeping with IEMS because they're so small, I don't think you'll have a problem with that danger you stated above.

May 9, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 34
Damn, I forgot about q-Jays, and they are in the price range I am looking for. Actually I think thats what I will go with.

Thank you Chickenman for giving me the answer that was right underneath my nose ( I had a q-jay review bookmarked)

May 9, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 34
I'd look at a ipod radio dock or something similar vs having those in your ear all night.

pink

May 9, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 34
I have the Ety 4's..... and they're not comfortable for sleeping.

Er, i should say.... unless youre willing to not sleep on your side. Otherwise, its very uncomfortable from where the cable meets the monitor pressing against the bed or pillow and jamming into your ear.

That being said, they're the best pair of IEM's ive ever owned. I'm just addressing your initial question.

May 9, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 34
Here's my speculation.
I don't think any earphone with a tubular body is good to go to sleep with in general. When you go to sleep facing the ceiling, the pillow forces your ear to bend, making the "ear pocket" smaller. I can't imagine comfort with my ear squeezing the earphone. The q-Jays should be fine though.
If you sleep sideway, the pillow may pushes the earphone in, like it's being jammed it. I don't think earphones like ER4 is good. Because of the structure, you may even break the nozzle as most of the force is concentrated on the nozzle. Earphones like UM1 with a flat body is good if you sleep sideway.

May 9, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 34
Try the Westone UM1 they are good and you can buy mine
biggrin.gif
....good condition...
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 34
Oh, the force pushing against the earphone by the pillow may damage the nozzle. I think that's what happened to mine. Well, it's not totally broken, but I can see some white stuff, like the white stuff you get from bending clear plastic.

But nevertheless, I second UM1, or UM2.

May 9, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 34
No problem! Oh and I think you should check my review if you're considering the different colors! But then I think black is pretty classy..

May 9, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #14 of 34
Man, I fall asleep with my UM2's all the time. Very comfortable annot dangerous at all. Where did that come from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back