IEMs for Rock/Metal/Electronica for under $150?
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DGarces89

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using the Nu-Force NE-8s with comply foamies, but I'd like something with some more bass.

Music
Rock- Grunge, Alt, Indie, 60s + 70s
Metal- No death metal, mostly stuff like Black Sabbath, Corrosion of Conformity, etc
Electronica/Trance- DJ Tiesto, Infected Mushroom, UNKLE
Industrial- Nine Inch Nails, Gravity Kills, Skinny Puppy, etc...

More bass than the NE-8s would be wonderful, i find it to be lacking, and the iPod Classic's EQ absolutely SUCKS, so an IEM that doesn't need to be EQ'ed would be necessary. And um-amped would be nice, as my pockets are already bulging from the thickness of the 160gb classic, and i don't own an amp
frown.gif

I was looking at the Phonaks, but I can't decide if there's enough bass. I bought the Nuforce because they had more bass than the E2c's i previously had, but they're still lacking.

$150 is my ABSOLUTE limit. Not $175, not $200.

Thanks again!

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 10
X2.

The Phonak bass is there, and not thin. But it depends on your definition of more bass. They might not be right for yu9o, I have a hunch. But they have the MBG, 14 days. Why not find out for yourself?

Of course, if you added a little FiiO E5, no problem at all. Might even work for the 8s, just cost you $20.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 10
I bought the Ne-8s as soon as they went up for sale, after everyone was raving about the Ne-7s, and had high hopes for the Ne-8s. The curse of early adopters!

They're not BAD by any means, I REALLY like them and I prefer them to my old E2c's. They'd be an excellent pair of secondary headphones. I just want more of a kick from my music.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Really, just try the humble E3 amp, like $9. Might be just what you need. Why spend so much more for a new IEM? Sounds like you want to upgrade. I understand what you mean, early adopting cuts both ways, no doubt. I did the same with the PFEs, and not sorry I did at all. I also owned the 7s, but decided they were too bassy, so maybe you should check them out.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, just try the humble E3 amp, like $9. Might be just what you need. Why spend so much more for a new IEM? Sounds like you want to upgrade. I understand what you mean, early adopting cuts both ways, no doubt. I did the same with the PFEs, and not sorry I did at all. I also owned the 7s, but decided they were too bassy, so maybe you should check them out.

I agree, but maybe the E3 (or better yet, E5) would help your current setup. But if you really don't want an amp, the PFE is an awesome IEM and with the black filters I think it has enough deep, fast, hard hitting bass to work with the genres/music you listen to.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, but maybe the E3 (or better yet, E5) would help your current setup. But if you really don't want an amp, the PFE is an awesome IEM and with the black filters I think it has enough deep, fast, hard hitting bass to work with the genres/music you listen to.

The e5 looks much nicer than the e3, and much less bulky. Over all the e5 is better? If that's the case, I'll just pick up the e5, and see if that does the trick, and in a year or so invest in a new set of IEMs.

Any more opinions, or people with experience with the Ne-8s and an amp?

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Ahh, thank you for clearing that up. I think i'll stick with the e5 though, since i could clip it on my belt, without it being too visible. Plus the rechargeable battery is a plus.

If i do buy the e5, would i need to buy anything else? I've heard resistance adapter thrown around a bit... As previously stated my setup would be iPod classic + Ne-8s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back