IEMs for ROCK <$50 better than CX 475?
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

abecedarian

New Head-Fier
Simply put, I'm looking for in-ear monitors that are good for rock music (good mids) below 50 dollars and that surpass the Sennheiser CX 475's. If they exist.

As I said I would prefer emphasis on mids. However, if there are some monitors that offer a better overall experience with a balanced sound signature that isn't strenuous and too dry and obviously not infiltrated by bass as I feel my CX 475's are (just a bit) I would definitely consider them.

I know it looks like I just signed up real quick to make a request for help but, I have been browsing many threads here. I've looked at the Klipsch S4's, SoundMagic PL-50's, and the Sony MDR EX310LP's most recently. The Sony's seem to be my best bet but, I get conflicting reports saying they are balanced and then that the mids are recessed which is a no-go for me.

Honestly I'm very indecisive and not wise with regard to audio equipment. I'm worried I will make a bad choice. I would appreciate any help you can give me; especially if you go into detail.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Stay away from the S4.  They have a big +14 dB bass enhancement from 1 Hz up to 90 Hz. That is just too much bass and way to much to try to control properly.

They are just outside of you $50 budget, but the Brainwavz M2 may just be what you are looking for.  They are mids emphasized, are built well, and sound really awesome for the price which is around $65 new on sale.  I think they are well worth it.

Here are some charts you may find helpful.

Brainwavz M2
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

S4
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1953

If you do end up with the M2 I highly suggest you try some Comply T-400 Foam tips with them as I have.  They make the fit a bit more comfortable for long trips and seal better.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank for your reply. I can stretch my budget a small amount. I probably won't exceed $70 plus shipping. I will add those to my list of considerations while I continue to research in my free time.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 5
easy, soundmagic pl30, pl50, tdkba100 there's a deal on them right now, or brainwavz m2

if you are stretching your budget to 70 then consider getting etymotic's HF series, usually they are around 70, but only used

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 5
I think I'm going to go with with the Brainwavs M2 (ViSang R03). They are right in my price range and the reviews all save the mids are great. Also, I read they were good for movies so that is a plus to me. Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back