IEMs for on the Bike w/ iPod Nano (1ist gen)
Jul 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Operandi

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]I had been using some cheap Sony MDR-EX71 that finally died.  In the mean time I've been using my UE Super.fi 3 (actually Altec Lansing's version) but they are too bulky (particularly the cable) to use on the bike when I commute to work and long road rides so I need something smaller along the line of the Sonys that will stay put in my ears better.  I also really liked the asymmetrical cable lengths of the Sonys.[/size]

[size=medium]I'll mostly be using these on the bike and half the time listening to audio books and podcasts so audio quality isn't the top priority but I would like something better than the EX71.  Comfort and ease of use are my main concerns, followed by sound quality, budget is $40 - $75, recommendations? [/size]

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 19
Jul 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 19
The RE0 is fairly low-profile, but a bit more expensive at $80. You can sometimes find them for less than that on the For Sale forum.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 19
I've been using the Super.fi 3s every day now for over a week and I've gotten them to stay sealed for the most part (they no longer sound like clock radio after 2 mins of riding) but the bulky cord is still pretty annoying.  The other issue I'm finding is that they seem very light on bass even when they are properly sealed (something I didn't recall about their sound) so a stronger bottom end would also be requirement for whatever I end up going with next.

I'll give the RE0 a look.  I can spend a bit more but I'm not sure its worth it to be spending a lot of money on something I may not perceive the quality differences while on the bike.

I don't really like the look of the clip design on the PL50.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
I've been using the Super.fi 3s every day now for over a week and I've gotten them to stay sealed for the most part (they no longer sound like clock radio after 2 mins of riding) but the bulky cord is still pretty annoying.  The other issue I'm finding is that they seem very light on bass even when they are properly sealed (something I didn't recall about their sound) so a stronger bottom end would also be requirement for whatever I end up going with next.

I'll give the RE0 a look.  I can spend a bit more but I'm not sure its worth it to be spending a lot of money on something I may not perceive the quality differences while on the bike.

I don't really like the look of the clip design on the PL50.

The "clip" design is actually a removable cable guide. You can take them off if you don't like them.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 19
Few IEMs are recommended like RE0, Phonak Audio PFE 012, HF5(highely recommended if bass is not first prefference and they are availabe on Amazon for under $100), JVC FX300 and HJE900, Sony MDR-EX310 are crisp, clear sounding IEMs(better than EX71) with great bass response and they comes with shirt clip and lots of tips.

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 19
Alright, I'll take a look at the PL50 again, I'll also take a look your recommendations ZARMIN.

As far as tonality I prefer a pretty flat response, which I consider my Byer DT770, and Sony MDR-V6 to be, the EX71 definitely had a pretty heavy bottom end.  Though I think a slightly boosted bottom end might be good for overcoming road noise.

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Alright, I'll take a look at the PL50 again, I'll also take a look your recommendations ZARMIN.

As far as tonality I prefer a pretty flat response, which I consider my Byer DT770, and Sony MDR-V6 to be, the EX71 definitely had a pretty heavy bottom end.  Though I think a slightly boosted bottom end might be good for overcoming road noise.

The DT770 and MDR-V6 aren't really "flat," they both have boosted low ends (compared to many other cans).

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 19
770's I hear are pretty much bass kings and known as bloated.  If you like the bass of that you won't like the RE0's.... If anything find a place where you can test these HPs... better safe than sorry.  WE all have our own preferences of what we like in HPs but testing them out would be the best call.  Good luck.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 19
There are several versions of DT700, I believe the "Pro" version (which I have not heard) is bass heavy the consumer 250ohm (what I own) and 600ohm are pretty neutral, definitely not bloated (Headroom's measurements pretty much show the same).  The MDR-V6, are pretty flat, they have some mid range issues and maybe a slight boost somewhere in the lower regions but the only way they could be considered bass heavy is in comparison to phones that simply lacking low-end.

I've spent a lot of time around high-end speakers, pro stuff, consumer stuff, and have some DIY speakers so I have a pretty good idea of what I prefer tonality wise and its flat, though I would rather have slightly stronger bottom end than a weak one.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 19
All of them (DT770s) may be on the + side rather than the - side but I believe there is a difference between the versions from what I've read, and based on my comparison to other headphones Sony MDR-V6, AKG 240, Denon D2000, UE Super.fi 3, Sony MDR-EX71 and the speakers I've heard.

Anyway, I think for the way I'll be using these most of the time I'd like a bit more bass than a bit less given the choice between the two options.  I think its between the Klipsch Image S4 and the Sony MDR-EX310.  I have a feeling the S4s are probably the way to go in terms of sound but I really liked the way my old Sony's fit and the 310 should be a big improvement over the 71s that I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back