IEM's for my mom <$100
Jan 6, 2008 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

burningskulls

New Head-Fier
Hello all-

I am looking for a nice set of IEM's for my mother. She needs them to have different sized ear buds as she has very small ears and a pair she bought previously did not fit. She does not require perfect sound by any means (nor does she care enough to try and tell the difference) and I am looking to spend around $50-75 but I will go to $100 if it is definitely worth it.

Let me know some recommendations. Thanks for all your help.

Micah

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by burningskulls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all-

I am looking for a nice set of IEM's for my mother. She needs them to have different sized ear buds as she has very small ears and a pair she bought previously did not fit. She does not require perfect sound by any means (nor does she care enough to try and tell the difference) and I am looking to spend around $50-75 but I will go to $100 if it is definitely worth it.

Let me know some recommendations. Thanks for all your help.

Micah

If you are worried about fit the new FreQs models offer custom fits at an affordable price (89-190). Granted nobody has heard them yet but some brave head-fiers have placed orders already so reviews should be coming soon.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Which model did she previously own? Most universal fits offer small/med/large/foam tips, and should be perfectly fine for most people (I have a large size in the right, small in the left!).

And also if she isn't picky about sound then I think that there's little need to spend over $50, as there are plenty of options below that which offer decent sound. JBL Reference 220s are cheap and well-regarded, as is the bassy counter part, sennheiser cx300. Small, easy to insert, no hassle.

If she doesn't mind the look, UE super.fi 3s are cheap and probably give the best, less-anemic clarity under $100, and isolate the best (they come in red, too).

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 9
JVC HA-FX66's come with many different tips: small cushions, medium, large, Foam Marshmallows. They are my fav portable can yet.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies.

I think she previosuly owned a cheap Wal-Mart pair or something...I am not sure what she purchased.

The Denons seem a little out of the price range.

The JBL's look good, I may go with those of the JVC's.

Does anyone know anything about the J-Jay's....any good? I only ask because its right around the price I am looking for on headroom.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 9
I've got a similar question. I want to get some IEMs for my brother. He's not an audiophile at all, so sound isolation, comfort, and convenience are the most important factors. He mainly wants to be able to watch/listen to portable media on the subway without hurting his hearing. I want to get something <$100 available on amazon. So if audio quality isn't a main concern, what are the most practical IEMs to get?

The CX300s, Ety 6i, and UE Superfi 3 seem to be the best in this price range that I see. I'm tempted to go with the CX300s just since they're the cheapest and my brother likes the brand unless the consensus is that you get better sound isolation with something else.

His media player is an iRiver clix2, if it matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back