IEMs for maximum $130-$140 AUD ($145 USD) Australia
Aug 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #16 of 40
Are you kidding? EX600 underwhelming bass? It has like the best bass you can find in an IEM, up in the top tiers anyway, if you're looking at the FR graph that doesn't say anything, the UE700 has a "flat bass" FR graph as well, and I can tell you the UE700 bass and EX600 bass are extremely different, the UE700 is tight and controlled and sounds like knocking on a door (+almost devoid of sub-bass), the EX600 bass is resonant, dynamic and spacious, lively and not muddy at all, you can't see any of these things in an FR graph, unfortunately!

The UE700 and the EX600 are the kings of IEM's under $140 IMHO, and both sound like, say... ~$270.

I'm not sure what bass he's looking for, but the Etymotic or RE0 certainly won't have it, I have an RE0 and moving to the EX600 sounds pretty shocking.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #17 of 40
Quantity wise. I come from the HJE900 which has plenty, and going to the GR07's was an adjustment (which I am now much happier with in pretty much all circumstances). Coming from the S4 might present similar circumstances. The EX600 is said to be similar in bass quantity if not having a bit less than the GR07, IIRC. So I am just giving him legitimate information which directly relates to his concerns which I think will benefit him more than just telling him its better than sliced bread.

I didn't mention the Etymotic or the RE0 because he was already leaning toward the SE215, and no one else had recommended those to him yet, at least not from my first read through the thread.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 40

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm still undecided, and looks like I'm tossing up between the Shure 215i, UE700, EX600 and the GR07 (a little on the price side). I'm not an expert on audio so I'm somewhat confused now. What would be the ultimate difference between these headphones. Hoping this question my help my decision.

In terms of the bass I'm after, would it help if I said think the Apple IEM's with a little more bass. Sometimes I find my S4is a little too boomy (not tight enough?).

blink.gif

Hoping to nail my decision soon, my s4is are playing funny buggers these days (stops playing on their own!).

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 40

Quote:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm still undecided, and looks like I'm tossing up between the Shure 215i, UE700, EX600 and the GR07 (a little on the price side). I'm not an expert on audio so I'm somewhat confused now. What would be the ultimate difference between these headphones. Hoping this question my help my decision.

In terms of the bass I'm after, would it help if I said think the Apple IEM's with a little more bass. Sometimes I find my S4is a little too boomy (not tight enough?).

blink.gif

Hoping to nail my decision soon, my s4is are playing funny buggers these days (stops playing on their own!).

Atrio's will be a big upgrade to the S4 with great, deep and controlled bass along with well presented, balanced mids and highs. The entire spectrum is presented so well with everything being where is should be. You can pick one up on the sale forum for ~$130!

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 40
Maybe start with how/where you'll be using them. This might change recommendations drastically.

At US prices of ~$135 (I don't know how much they would cost you either in Australia or shipped there) and with people saying they are very similar in sound quality to the GR07, you can't lose, unless you need good isolation, which the GR07 has.

About the UE700: I have the Brainwavz B2, which uses the same drivers. I don't know how much different the tuning is on the UE700 but I personally like the GR07 a good bit more than the B2. I feel they do just about everything more to my liking. The treble on the B2 is great and the mids have good energy, but as an overall package and especially in how they present music, I like the GR07 by a good margin. Thus, most likely by extension, the EX600 too. This is a personal choice of course.

If you need the remote, I don't see any problem with the SE215i, but at similar or slightly more in cost, the GR07 and EX600 are said to be noticeably better in sound quality.

Have you read any reviews or impressions on any of these? There's no point in me rehashing what many have already said in terms of how they all sound.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #23 of 40

Quote:
The main benefit of the UE700 is he can buy it for only $99 which is incredibly cheap, and have it delivered to his doorstep in 2 days.

The EX600 and GR07 will be more of a hassle, but worth it if he is after that more expansive dynamic sound.

I actually edited this into my post but never clicked submit.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
Maybe start with how/where you'll be using them. This might change recommendations drastically.

At US prices of ~$135 (I don't know how much they would cost you either in Australia or shipped there) and with people saying they are very similar in sound quality to the GR07, you can't lose, unless you need good isolation, which the GR07 has.

About the UE700: I have the Brainwavz B2, which uses the same drivers. I don't know how much different the tuning is on the UE700 but I personally like the GR07 a good bit more than the B2. I feel they do just about everything more to my liking. The treble on the B2 is great and the mids have good energy, but as an overall package and especially in how they present music, I like the GR07 by a good margin. Thus, most likely by extension, the EX600 too. This is a personal choice of course.

If you need the remote, I don't see any problem with the SE215i, but at similar or slightly more in cost, the GR07 and EX600 are said to be noticeably better in sound quality.

Have you read any reviews or impressions on any of these? There's no point in me rehashing what many have already said in terms of how they all sound.

I will mainly be using them on the train 5 days a week, so sound isolation is welcome. I often have one bud in my ear at work (don't ask, I've NEVER been able to focus/function without music). And yes, have read some review (will probably read a few more tonight when I get home) however they can often be hard when not compared with other options at the same price. I also have the further issue of living in Oz and not having any of these earphones to listen to! That would make my choice far easier.

Quote:
The main benefit of the UE700 is he can buy it for only $99 which is incredibly cheap, and have it delivered to his doorstep in 2 days.

The EX600 and GR07 will be more of a hassle, but worth it if he is after that more expansive dynamic sound.

That has been one of the points I have been thinking about. Either way though, I'll still need to source a iPhone inline mic/controller (although I can grab one from an Australian online store). I'll have to somehow figure out which IEM's I can source first though, otherwise I may decide on an IEM but not able to purchase it! Is there a link/thread to Online stores that ship to Oz here?

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #25 of 40
There is no such thread but you can use a forwarding service like www.viaddress.com

It's impossible to say if "amazon.com" will ship to Oz for example, because it's entirely a roll of the dice, sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, I can't see any common rule for what they're doing, (talking about amazon LCC themselves, not the plethora of different sellers there)

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #28 of 40
Good plan. Different ears and all but when you guys are there, if the GR07's aren't using stock silicone, i suggest you kindly request to try them with it. People say Jays foam sounds good also but I'm not a fan of foam tips so I have no interest in trying.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #29 of 40
I...  will bring my own tips. However... I dont really have tips for the slim nozzles types like Gr07s.  :frowning2:
The square housing hopefully agrees with my ear noggins lol. They look odd.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #30 of 40
Update!

So I've read a few reviews of the GR07 and EX600.

In a nutshell, I like the "sound" of both, but concerned about the fitting of the EX600 and their reported low isolation and noise levels when outdoors. If these prove true, than I would be tending towards the GR07. Then the only concern would be if I would find them "fun" enough, i.e. Bass level.

Shure 215's are still in the running, as they would be the ones that require least effort (comes with iPhone controls), but I'm concerned with the sound quality. I think they have the bass I'm after (probably more than I require), but I'm worried I'll lose out in other aspects as I have with my S4i's. I need to do more reading.

The UE700s I'm still considering as they're cheap, but I don't want to sacrifice on quality purely for convenience. I can wait if it means I'm getting a better sound.

I'm intrigued by these Atrios, although they look like they're going to blow the budget.

I think I'm also increasing the budget slightly, maybe to $180 (including a mic/inline control separately), but that's the absolute max otherwise I'm in danger of receiving a summons with the Missus High Court.

Have I exhausted all possibilities yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back