IEMs for listening to strings, piano, and winds (a bit of bass would be nice too)
Dec 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

strigon07

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! 

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking time to read this thread. I'm quite a newbie here and so I don't exactly know the terms to use to describe what I'm looking for, but here goes...

Basically, I listen to OSTs a lot. Usually, these OSTs are from games/anime. Hence they tend to have quite a bit of guitar (electric), and piano. As of special importance is the piano part, if I can't hear the piano part, I'd rather not get any IEMs at all. 

I'm not too picky with vocals; I typically listen to more melancholic songs (I don't know if this helps). I do not need a very strong bass. An average amount of bass will do fine. 

I also play the violin and love listening to OSTs with string instruments (it has to sound good with strings). I've included a few links to the type of songs that I listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ea_mJ5hzE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOcqbXHZFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN5MTcNM5ig

For strings, I would love it if the IEMs could sound really grand (like when you sit in a concert hall in front of an entire 70-strong symphonic orchestra, and yes I know that a symphonic orchestra doesn't just include strings :D). 

As for what I would consider to be a good replication of a piano's tone: clear, but not too dry. There has to be resonance to the piano, and the piano shouldn't sound too "air-y". The articulation of the piano should also be obvious enough, but not overly harsh. 

I've went down to the store just this evening to try out a few IEMs, but they didn't work for me:

UE700 (piano too soft and air-y)

TDK BA100 (I love the sound of the strings in this one, but again, the piano failed me)

Dunu Hephaes (sounded noisy; audio clarity not high enough)

And quite a few others. 

I'm coming from a pair of Sonic Gear Ear Pump Pros. 

My budget is about 150 USD. I live in Singapore and thus will need to import these earphones if they are from overseas. It would be very helpful if I could order these from somewhere that ships to Singapore. But I am fine with shipping to a US address as well. 

As a side note, would the Monster Turbine Pro Copper fit my above description? I was able to find a pair priced at 159 USD on Amazon (from the official Monster Amazon page). They are new (supposedly) but the box has been opened. Should I jump on it? I can also get Monster Turbine Gold. Lastly, is there a substantial difference between the Monster Turbine, Turbine Pro Copper, and Turbine Gold? Are they worth the money? I would really like to minimize spending. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 7
The JVC FXT90, Sony EX600, Etymotic HF5 and MTP Copper are highly recommended. Because they all serve these genres music well.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 7
Hmm... I tried the HF 5 today as well... 

I didn't notice anything special about it. I preferred the UE700 to it. But thinking about it, I didn't spend as much time with it. 

I might go back to have another listen with the HF5. 

Btw, what about the Monsters? Are they any good? They look pretty enticing. Most reviews I've read are positive too. Any opinions? And should I get the (supposedly) unused Pro Copper for 159 USD at Amazon? Or the normal Turbine refurbs/used?

Thanks for the help thus far!

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 7
I have said it many times before and i'll say it again, any string instrument and piano sound fantastic on the FS Atrio. The combination of smoothness and definition/clarity make them the best sounding IEMs for strings and piano (and they have the best quality bass in the industry!).

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi all, just like to thank you guys for all the help. Decided to go with the GR07s, am listening to them now. They're definitely clearer than my previous Ear Pump Pros. Surprisingly, they fit quite well (for their odd shape). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back