IEMs for kids
Oct 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HeroicPenguin

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the effects of using IEMs would be for young children -- I'm thinking about getting my sister some nicer IEMs/portables since she recently received an iPod as a gift, but I don't know if IEMs would be either bad for her hearing or might not even fit into small ears. She just turned 9, so if that helps.

I was thinking about IEMs in the $50 range, either that or I might purchase the XB500 as a portable over-ear headphone. I'm pretty concerned about comfort for a kid, but obviously, sound quality would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 14
My daughter is 9 also and I've tried a couple inexpensive options with her and her favorite is the MEElectric M6. I got them during one of the grab bag specials at a very cheap price. Keep an eye out with the holidays coming up, they usually have really good sales. They include a ton of tips so it's easy to find one in the correct size for proper sound and comfort. She loves the over the ear design since she can listen to music before bed or play around and they don't fall out!

As for hearing damage, I don't think it's harmful as long as they are aware that loud music can damage their hearing no matter what earphones they are using and don't do it. I also make sure her volume control on the iPod is set to about 50-75%.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 14
The M6 sounds great -- how's the comfort for them? I'm assuming that they're ok for small ears?

Any other suggestions?

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 14
Perhaps something that is a bit hard to drive so she can't get too much volume out of them ? If the iPod she got has a volume limit control (the Touch does), I'd recommend using that.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Perhaps something that is a bit hard to drive so she can't get too much volume out of them ? If the iPod she got has a volume limit control (the Touch does), I'd recommend using that.

You're describing the Ety-Kids.  UE also has the loudenoughs.  Those are targeted at protecting hearing.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
They are designed for iPods...  LOL, they make a model with iPod controls too :p

So the iPod can drive 300ohm stuff ? I need to try my iPod with a HD650 sometime 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:

So the iPod can drive 300ohm stuff ? I need to try my iPod with a HD650 sometime 
biggrin.gif

Actaully, the 300 ohms is made specifically so it can't fully drive them.  Remember, Etymotic is trying to limit the volume (through use of the impedance).  If you can't fully drive them, they can't get to their full loudness, therefore will be safer for hearing. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for all the answers. I'm still leaning towards the M6 (since the iPod has volume controls), so the volume can't get too loud. Anything else that fits small ears with good sound quality for a reasonable price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back