IEMs for EDM (in €200 territory)
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ciotog

New Head-Fier
I mostly listen to EDM in particular 90s rave and Frenchcore so as you can imagine my Grado GR10e isn't particularly suited (I have them because I also like listening intently to vocals and instrumental genres like Irish trad.). I was pretty much set on getting the Shure SE425 as the SE215 was my first introduction to not-the-Apple-headphones-in-the-box experience 15 years or so ago and Richer Sounds has them at €199. I had the Westone UM2 for quite awhile until wear and tear caught up with them ~2 years ago. Loved these and had a great fit with a triple-flange tip. I saw the Sennheiser IE80s is €259 at the moment and I see that a lot of people here, with similar music tastes, like them. I'm not in a position to audition any IEMs alas. So I'm wondering what people would recommend from what's available online currently?

(Edit: I'll be staying wired)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 6
The IEMs you owned and liked have pretty different sound signatures, so it seems you can adapt very easily.
While the Shures are still around and popular, they seem to have been surpassed in value by newer models.

Your writing also sounds like you are using your IEMs out of the phone and pretty much anywhere, not really pampering them.

That all sounds like a model with a safe tuning, good robustness, comfort and isolation and easy drivability would suit your needs.

Moondrop Starfield $110 - excellent sound for the money. Isolation, fit robustness OK (I have not heard them but owend the Kanas Pro, which was the previous, more expensive version)
Audiosense AQ3 $180 - check portafi youtube review. find that one very interesting, should offer excellent fit and comfort. Tuning seems to be a well implemented balance between fun and neutral
FIIO FH5 $260 - Crinacle writes: Stellar bass response and decent technical ability, not much to fault.

Etymotic ER2XR : outlier : https://crinacle.com/2019/12/03/cliffnotes-etymotic-er2-market-disruptor/

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you very much @pbui44, @yong_shun, @KowalskiFUT and @surfgeorge for your suggestions - I really appreciate you taking the time. You've given me plenty to think about and opened my eyes to headphones I wouldn't have thought of.

@surfgeorge I've definitely got a lot better at taking care of my headphones in the past 3/4 years and you're right about a lot of phone use. I typically use an iPhone X with an Audioquest DragonFly Red (I occasionally plug the Grado's into my Rega Brio). I hadn't really thought about it but I do adapt easily when headphones sound "good" to me. Maybe it's a case of listening to different genres and hearing even one of them accentuated by a particular headphone that satisfies me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back