IEMs for cycling
Dec 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

n0ah

100+ Head-Fier
i'm in pretty quiet suburbs so cutting out sound is not too big of a fear for me. the only concern i have is being able to hear horns, especially if directed at me. just looking for suggestions that will cut out everything but that, somewhere in the <$150ish range. would er4p's be too isolating in this situation?

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 30
Brilliant idea, get darwin award. I cycle a lot used IEM for one ride and blooming dangerous. Still if you want be sideswiped that's your decision. Suburbs are the worst and most hazardous place, kids running out, dogs, people turning, pedastrians, other kids on BMX, posties etc

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 30
"suburbs" is kind of a broad term though isn't it. your description of one doesn't sound much like my own. i threw that brief fun fact in to avoid harsh warnings such as that. follow up question: when riding a bike would it make sense to wear a helmet????

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 30
Those Ety triple flanges are basically like earplugs. As an avid cyclist, I can say that it would be a very bad idea to get on a bike wearing those things.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 30
Gotta echo iriverdude's sentiment. IMO wearing earphones/IEMs and listening to music while road cycling is irresponsible and dangerous. Period. As a cyclist your ears are more important than your eyes in a lot of situations, and if you've got music playing you're compromising your safety. To think otherwise is foolhardy. I don't care how experienced you are or how "safe" the area you're riding in supposedly is. The deck is stacked against you when you're road riding anyway. All it takes is one distracted driver texting a friend and/or one distracted cyclist listening to Rage Against The Machine to cause a catastrophe. And guess what? When you're the one on the bike it doesn't matter who's at fault because YOU are the one that ends up either seriously injured or dead.

I've been a cyclist for almost 20 years. It's just not worth it. Leave your music at home.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 30
If you can ride on a "bike only" park or if it's a safe, good sidewalk I'd say the Westone 1. I always ride my bike with earphones but always on the side walk and it's a 25mph neighborhood (although a car at that speed could easily still kill you) and the sidewalk is a good 10 feet from the road. We have plenty of bike trails here as well so if you have access to that, enjoy.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by IainB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it said IEMs for crying. I was like 'wow, that's specific...'

rolleyes.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sidewalks are for pedestrians, not bicycles.

QFT. I use the sidewalk when walking my dog. I've seen a cyclist thrown from his bike because he came up behind us and tried to ride between my dog and myself. I guess he didn't see the leash.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 30
I guess you guys haven't seen what it's like over where I live. Here it is pretty common to see people riding their bike with music playing. I do so as well, but I can still hear everything very clearly with my IEMs (CX300, they hardly isolate).
Over here you will hardly ever see anyone wearing a helmet either when driving their bike. I guess things are quite different over here compared to where most of you live.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 30
Get Yuin PK3s instead, I would suggest. Or PortaPros
wink.gif
Then with the leftover money get some IEMs for not-cycling, RE0s or if you're interested in the ER-4s then Ety hf5s are pretty close.

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brilliant idea, get darwin award. I cycle a lot used IEM for one ride and blooming dangerous. Still if you want be sideswiped that's your decision. Suburbs are the worst and most hazardous place, kids running out, dogs, people turning, pedastrians, other kids on BMX, posties etc

So, deaf people aren't allowed to cycle?

I done a bit a cycling myself and I have learnt not to trust my ears. As if my hearing will protect me when a driver behind me isn't paying attention.

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 30
Well, I won't join the flame war here. After using Westone and a few others, the only one which has survived intense workouts is the Audio Technica CK10. Its cable is much stronger, its sound nozzle will not break when you are cold and taking the iem in and out. It is 200$ or so (maybe more), but used can be had for less.

Still, I changed to Cy-Fi wireless speaker for ipod or Bluetooth - safer, works a bit as a warning signal for those around you, and is a pretty good remote control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back