IEMS for classical?
Jul 5, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #16 of 34
I can recommend ER4P for classical. Very recently I was using mine amped with tubes and the experience was very good as usual. ER4S is even better.

I also only use foam tips because I get a weird suction discomfort with silicone.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can recommend ER4P for classical. Very recently I was using mine amped with tubes and the experience was very good as usual. ER4S is even better.

I also only use foam tips because I get a weird suction discomfort with silicone.

My bad, I should have said that I don't have an amp.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bad, I should have said that I don't have an amp.

They don't need to be amped but I have a few so why not.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, they sound great from my iAudio 7 player, no amp.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 34
Sounds like your really pulling for the customs and want them to be er4s -_-'''. I have the 6i and I can say that for classical... etymotic is what you want. Buy a pack of shure black olives for $10 and there will be 0 comfort issues.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like your really pulling for the customs and want them to be er4s -_-'''. I have the 6i and I can say that for classical... etymotic is what you want. Buy a pack of shure black olives for $10 and there will be 0 comfort issues.

What is the significance of the etymotic? So many people are redommending them for classical music. I just know that klipsch loudspeakers are pretty good for classical.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 34
They have been around forever with basically no change at all. And their sound signature has basically been considered the best for what you are looking for. They are known for their accuracy and detail. Looking around at the new IEM forum it seems like there isn't a lot of noise about them but that is seriously only because they've become almost a fact of life.

Here's reference
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ety...l-else-324683/

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #22 of 34
klipsch good for classical? I haven't heard that.. at least not the lower end speakers they carry... i'm quite sure my acoustic energy aego m reproduces classical better than say the lower models from klipsch.

but yes for classical.. i'd go with etys.. as long as u wanna hear pristine crystalline clarity.. I'd tink the etys are the way to go.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used my ER4S for classical on several occasions. I've used them unamped, off a custom-design amplifier, off a modified Sugden Headmaster, and off a Gilmore dynamic amplifier. They all sound good.

As for comfort, everyone has their own opinions. All I know is I am unable to maintain a seal in one of my ears using rubber tips as the tips essentially slide out after 20minutes. It's not the fault of Etymotic, I just have one freak ear canal and one normal one. I've used them on a 12 hour plane ride from Munich to Los Angeles using the foam inserts and I had no problems with discomfort.

There's a biflange available in different sizes. A mismatched pair mightwork for you. They're not the best for Etymotics because the filter sits flush against the outer flange, so you might end up having to replace the filters often. I don't remember who makes them. They were at CanJam 08.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #24 of 34
The Etymotics sit much further in your ear than any IEM except customs. Some people just can't use them because of that. One person says he feels violated.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 34
woah IEMs and headphones are so far apart!! haha

but at least you found something you like that's the most impt!

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #27 of 34
Lots of Etymotic recommendations, and rightly so! I have owned and listened to a fair few IEMs and the ones that strike me as most competent for classical music are single-driver IEMs. The dual and triple drivers are good, but just don't have the same clarity in the lower registers where complex bass and lower midrange textures can really turn into a huge pile of mess. I'm talking about universal-fit IEMs only; custom IEMs are another kettle of fish altogether. I would take a pair of ER4P/S over a Triple.fi10Pro or SE530 for classical.

The HD555 is OK, but I find their sound very veiled, polite and lacking in energy. They are nevertheless fairly enjoyable to listen to.

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #29 of 34
Back when I had ER4 I found them detailed but overly bright and sterile.

Strictly classical and jazz users might like them if they can deal with the deep insertion. I didn't have Shure Olives at the time, and Ety's own foams were the best I could do, but the Olives might help get a good fit and a little bit more warmth.

For what it's worth, Adorama has some low freakishly low Ety prices right now--$129 for the $299 list Ety4SR (SR = studio reference).
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4sr.html?emailprice=t&sterm=17jXuC2kXxyLT7JwUx0Mo3QRUkEzgqVdcQK:wU0&utm_source=rflaid98220

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back