IEMs for business
Apr 30, 2019 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't like IEMs and these will probably not be used to listen to music. They will be used to listen to audio books while in noisy environments like airplanes. That also means they will get dragged all over the globe in my backpack, and possibly lost one day, so I don't want to spend more than I have to. It also means I need some kind of case to keep them in. I don't want wireless...my DAP has 3.5mm jack only.

A lot of people in this application seem to get Bose or Sony noise cancelling headphones, but I think they are too bulky and I need wire-full 90% of the time.

So why ask on Head Fi at all? Because Head Fi'ers have at least some opinion on sound quality and have experience with IEMs which I don't. I could just go by Amazon reviews, but lots of people are totally unable to judge sound quality.

So:
--good sound isolation yet easy to put in (I think this means no foam ear pieces)
--wired or capable of wired
--good carrying case
--not too expensive
--sound quality reasonable

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 14
Sound quality isn't the most important thing, but if the sound quality is totally horrible I'm still not going to like them. Mostly I need something with good sound isolation.

The ranking list was helpful. At least I can make sure the ones I'm thinking of buying aren't on the F- list with "delta free earbuds".

May 1, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 14
"Not too expensive" is subjective.

For vocal frequencies, Fitear TG334 and CA Andromeda cannot be beat and offer the best bang for the buck. The former can be had for <$1k, the latter just a bit above the $1k mark. If that's still too steep you can find some good value in the preowned market for the Andros.

May 1, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 14
You may want to look at Shure and Westone. They are small, easy to get into your ear, and for me offered great sound isolation using foam tips. I used my Shure SE535 for 10 years as my everyday IEM while traveling on planes. I could easily sleep in them on my side as well. Furthermore, both Shure and Westone have varying levels of IEMs that would meet almost any price point below $1000. Both companies also have bluetooth options, although I like using the FiiO BTR3 for my bluetooth needs. Good luck

May 1, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 14
I'd advise against Shure SE535... Crinacle describes it as "Tonally dead. One-note bass. No treble worth mentioning." and put it in the same sound quality ranking as a $30 pair. I gave one as a gift once without hearing it and the non-audiophile said he preferred his Apple earbuds. I owned their highly overpriced $900 SE846 and I'd put it slightly above my $200 Sennheiser ie80. Crinacle put it on the same level as the $200 BGVP DM6 which are good value and pretty transparent, but have peaky treble.

May 1, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 14
I'd advise against Shure SE535... Crinacle describes it as "Tonally dead. One-note bass. No treble worth mentioning." and put it in the same sound quality ranking as a $30 pair. I gave one as a gift once without hearing it and the non-audiophile said he preferred his Apple earbuds. I owned their highly overpriced $900 SE846 and I'd put it slightly above my $200 Sennheiser ie80. Crinacle put it on the same level as the $200 BGVP DM6 which are good value and pretty transparent, but have peaky treble.

Agreed. I only use the 846 for when I'm at the gym. Good bass, durable housing, not much else.

May 2, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 14
Etymotic are good if you can get used to the fit or buy some custom tips. Ety tuning emphasises vocal presence so it's good for audiobooks/podcasts IMO. With the tri-flange tips they isolate about as well as any IEM, though it can take a while for them to fully 'break in' and become comfortable (though personally I prefer dense foam tips like Westone tips on flights, never tried them with Ety though). They have a pretty good range of options price-wise, from 50-350- my personal favorite is the ER4P.

May 2, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 14
Agreed. I only use the 846 for when I'm at the gym. Good bass, durable housing, not much else.

Agree on the sound, and like you I only use my SE535 when sound doesn't really matter since the my priority is to reduce ambient cabin noise and add background noise for reading while flying, etc. Also, I got mine during my pre Head-Fi days :) But they do serve a purpose for a niche travel situation, and I have other IEMs for critical listening / enjoyment.

@trains are bad another consideration ones above is the FiiO FA7

May 4, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 14
I just learned that there is such a thing as Noise Reducing in-ear headphones. Bose being one brand. I really like Bose Quiet Comfort head phones for airplane use, but they are too bulky and hurt my ears after a while. NR IEMs might be the ultimate, but I'm not sure I want to shell out $300 to find out.

May 4, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 14
Get a set of cheap ba only iems to find out if you like them. Hybrids will have vents in which will let noise in. Westone um1 is $99.00 and would have plenty enough isolation along with a decent set of tips for you to find out. Plus durable enough.

May 7, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #14 of 14
I just learned that there is such a thing as Noise Reducing in-ear headphones. Bose being one brand. I really like Bose Quiet Comfort head phones for airplane use, but they are too bulky and hurt my ears after a while. NR IEMs might be the ultimate, but I'm not sure I want to shell out $300 to find out.

I have a pair - they’re small, nice little neoprene pouch with an airline adapter and USB charging cable, small battery/control unit inline, wry soft silicone tips with silicone ear hooks. Dry comfortable for long listening sessions. Sound is really only ‘OK’, but plenty good for watching movies on a plane or listening to background music because the active noise cancelling is very effective. My Sony full size NC headphones work better and sound better (in a bit bass-heavy, ‘commercial’ sounding sort of way) but I think the Bose quiet comfort earbuds might be a very good fit for your use case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back