IEM's for Android Smartphone? Etymotic hf2... or similar?
Jan 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi.
I want a good set of IEM's for my Android phone (HTC Thunderbolt). So... it needs to have controls and mic on the cable.
Also, and very importantly, they need to be compatible with the Comply P-series tips.

What do you think of the sound and functionality of the hf2?
Other than the Etymotic hf2, what have others used and liked?

Thanks...

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 11
What's your price range and sound preferences, also, what music do you listen to (genres)?

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 11
I actually just posted a similar question earlier today. The hf2 is good, but I've had issues with the wires becoming frayed over time, and have been looking into alternatives myself.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 11
I've used the HF2's for a long time and I feel like the dba02's/brainwavz B2's are an excellent upgrade from them.  You can find then in the trade forums for about the same price as the HF2's, I think that new ones are somewhat hard to come by right now though.  They really are great value for the price though, if you're a fan of that analytical and light/airy sound you can hardly get better headphones even in the $300 range.
That's my opinion anyways.  Compared to the Westone 4's that I've been trying, the B2's perform very admirably.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
If you look at his sig, you can see that he already has the B2. 

HF2s will have slightly less bass and treble than the B2, having a more midrange oriented sound that doesn't lack any clarity coming from the B2. 

You can try to find someone who can recable your B2 as an option, it shouldn't be too hard and I've seen it done. You can just sacrifice one from a M6 which has a mic. 

I'll recommend the Phonak PFEs otherwise as another good option. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 11
PFE 112s with the Grey Filters should actually be good for you.  You do lose isolation though (unless you use foam tips). 

HF2s are a really good IEM though, nonetheless and they are compatible with Android.  Another option is the EtyKids...  However, for an analytic listener there really aren't too many choices with a remote and mic.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks all.
Yeah, I suppose I could sacrifice either my B2 or DBA-02's for a re-cable... but since it's for MP3's coming out of my phone, I'm not too terribly concerned about it ever being 'audiophile'.
The Thunderbolt doesn't have the best sonics, so...

Also, I have the MEE-M6, and it doesn't have a mic, or controls. (??)

Something in the pricerange of the hf2. More or less a little bit doesn't matter.
All kinds of music, rock, acoustic, classical... not a basshead, just like clear, clean, (relatively) neutral sound.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks Inks... probably where I'll wind up. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 11
Bump with thread title changed... maybe to get more options / ideas.

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 11
FYI  you could get the Perfect Bass PFE and request your extra filters to be gray and you basically lower to price to 120$ for the 122. 

You could also wait for the A161 or XBA1s which I could see falling under 100$ a couple of months after release, but this halts things back quite a bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back