IEM's for a Metal fan and PX100 lover
Jul 28, 2007 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

DominicKarma

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all wise people of audioland. My name is Dominic, and I desperately need to pick your collective minds because I do not know what to do for the best.
I am in search of some IEM's, particularly ones suited to metal <Prog metal, melodic death, classic metal, heavy metal> I also listen to a little rock and some blues.

I have asked this same question on DAPreview and epizenter and after a lot of back and forth productive discussion I was recommended to come here to ask your advice. I intend on running the IEM's un amped from my Cowon D2, if I was to use an amp I would havemost likely chosen the Westone UM2's, although they are a bit expensive.
So a pair that have caught my eye are the UE Super.fi 5 pro's, but having no hands on experience with them I must rely soley on others input.

A couple more things to mention, I am Irish - while this makes no real difference its just to let you know of my geological location, and the headphones I have at the moment are Sennheiser PX100's and CX300's (bleh I do not like the 300's) as well as AKG k26p's and 81DJ's (Not overly fond of the AKG models I own) by far my favourite pair of phones are the PX100's, I go back to them time and time again, for me they are my perfect portable companion....

Now with all this knowledge could y'all kindly help me finally come to a decision on what to buy, pleeeeeeease. If I should have given any additional info please let me know and I will type it.

If this is in the wrong forum and there is in fact a sub forum especially for these types of questions I am truly sorry, I must have over looked it (to be honest I find this board somewhat threatening, it's massive! but it's just stage fright I'm sure)
tongue.gif

Thank you in advance, all suggestions are welcomed. Thank you

---Dominic---

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 27
the only IEM's i've got, other than the CX300's are the CrossRoads Mylar's, and they destroy the Sennheisers to be honest.

Light years ahead in terms of clarity and detail, the Myalrs rock basically.

and i've given my thoughts of the Sennheiser PX100 in my igrado review. The only thing i like about the PX100 and 200 is the carrying case.

anyway, get the Crossroads MylarOne X3's, you won't regret it.

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 27
Thanks for the advice, but i'm kind of put off the Crossroads X3 in part due to the fact that you're not a fan of the px100's, my favourite sounding open cans lol, kind of polar opposites in opinion there, and an indicator of our different perceptions of sound, all the same I am very greatful for your suggestion

I have heard an awful lot about the mylar threes but they do not interest me tbh, really I am looking for some IEM's rather than canalphones.

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 27
Well I once heard the PX100's in Apple store and was really impressed... and was going to buy a set... a few days later took my ZVM and my UM2s to test next too PX100.

The UM2's are better in everyway - the UM2's bass is grittier and deeper... the mids more lush... and better extended treble.

The UM2's are abit drier than the PX100.

Modded pair of EX90's also IMO sound better than the PX100. PX100 are very good - but no means amazing!

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 27
I would like a pair of UM2's but they are over my budget of €165 (I forgot to mention that in the original post). That budget is not limited by savings, that is just the absolute maximum amount I am willing to spend...at this moment in time, perhaps down the line I may be compelled to upgrade further.

I mentioned that I am a metal fan in hopes that someone could give me guidance on what type of IEM's would suit that style more.

Of the models I have researched I have compiled this list:

UE Super.fi 5 pros
Future Sonics Atrio m5's
Shure e4c's

One of the things that really attracts to the UE's is the detachable cable, seems like an accident safe guard feature.
Of course I do not know how these sound and most of the people I have talked to about IEM's so far do not share my musical taste which makes it very hard to judge what would be the best buy for me.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 27
what about the UM1's then, or as i call them the UM 109's, because where ever you look, they're $109

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 27
Thanks captain, I've been reading a bit more and it seems the UM2's are well suited to my type of music and I am considering upping my self imposed budget....

Now I'm considering the UM2's or the shure e4c's or e500's....

any extra advice regarding the two?

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 27
I listen mostly to metal music.

I have the Atrio M5's and would highly recommend them to anybody. These IEM's handle all styles of music and with ease. The punch and depth I get listening to Opeth or Dimmu Borgir is amazing considering I'm listening to IEM's.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 27
people are saying the futuresonics atrio M5 have quite nice base, and their cheaper then the super.fi pro´s, dont even think about the EB´s. its like the base is poured over everything else,

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 27
Hey Guy's,

I listen mostly to metal (Thrash, Death, Metal Core, neoclassical, etc) but I'm also partial to dance music and techno.

Background: On the IEM front, I've owned the Ety ER6i, Super.Fi 5 Pro's, CX300's and Triple.Fi 10 Pro's. Out of all of them, i feel that the Super.Fi 5 Pro's were the most fun and really brings out the best in well recorded metal or dance music. Saying that, I do love my Triple.Fi's, but I think that's outside your budget.

I don't think you will have any complaints with the Super.Fi 5 Pro's, but make sure you get the improved version. I had the first version and had to RMA them twice due to a cracked shell. The newer ones are a lot more durable!

Enjoy,

J

PS.. If you have a chance to audition them, listen to Embodiment by
Carcass (Heartwork Album 1993). This song really makes the SF5P's (and TF10 Pro's) shine!

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 27
cheers mate, really appreciate the advice, I've heard of comfort issues with the 5pro's what do think of them for prolonged listening?

Also have you tried the left right cable switch mod? if yes is the soundstage affected? Someone had mention to me that after the mod they sound more "narrow" because of the way they sat in the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back