IEMs for 100-120$. RE0 ?
Jan 19, 2010 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DmitryG

New Head-Fier
Hi, everyone.

Would you be so kind to give a piece of advice. I am gonna buy a NWZ-E340 series SONY player for listening mainly electronic and classic music. Now I am looking for best IEMs for money (100-120$). And one the favourite variant is Head-Direct RE0.
Could you please criticize this decision ?
smily_headphones1.gif
Every opinion counts.
Thanks.

Edit. RE0 have 64 ohms - is it OK for NWZ-E340?

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 16
i heard of re0, re252 and re2 before but actually felt re2 to be the better one. no idea why but this does not mean the others arent good. re0 gets a lot of credits so i think you wont go wrong with them. my choices for ~100 are turbine or klipsch s4, if u like some nice bass but both are very different. i like turbine for techno & classical due to its clarity & deep sounding bass when such instruments appear in music, not comfortable though. s4 gives good seal, comfortable and is more versatile in my opinion.

if you ever though of upgrading to higher end iems, dont lurk at this price range. go straight to the top and it will save your wallet in the longer run.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks, jedi_edward007, I will look at Klipsch and turbines. Actually I thought about the latter one... How do you think, will the impedance of 64 ohms be the problem for sony's 5mW ?

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 16
it does appear to me harder to drive than 32ohms. not too sure about your player but im running it fine from ipod with a bit less than half the max volume. it shouldnt be much prob as i never heard of anyone that needs to amp turbine.
warning though, it is by far the heaviest iem i used, comfort can be a serious issue if you are particular about it. it's nice if you are able to tolerate its weight. its bass is the cleanest ive ever heard, surpassing my ie8. u feel it more than actually listen it

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 16
My RE0's come today
biggrin.gif
They have been at the post office for 2 days, thanks to no mail sunday and a federal holiday. Ill post my impressions tonight.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 16
mildewonrice, remember to give them some burn-in time. it should benefit from some running time, only if they are brand new, heh. cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 16
The RE0 is a fantastic choice for classical at that price, because instrument separation and clarity is so good. Because they are so fast, they will also be great for electronic. Your E series Walkman will probably be fine with the RE0, and if you want more bass the RE0 works well with 1+ level of Clear Bass.

I've used bassy IEMs like the CKS70 with classical, but frankly they are a little underwhelming. They do not have the magical effect of having the music take form with all instruments. With electronic it's a bit more of a toss up.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 16
thanks for the opinions. It seems that I am not sure about RE0 now
confused_face.gif

1. RE0, not so much bass (I like bass
L3000.gif
), 64 ohms, should be amped for best sound
2. Klipsch S4 - nice, but hissing due to low impedance

Turbines seems to be nice, but a little bit out of $ range (and heavy).

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DmitryG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I like bass...

S4 it is then
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 16
looks like you're done here. there are s4s showing up quite frequently on the trade forum threads. nice and affordable.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_edward007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like you're done here. there are s4s showing up quite frequently on the trade forum threads. nice and affordable.

Yep, kind of. Thank you too for your recomendations.
Could you please compare RE2 (as you said they are even better than RE0) and klipsch S4?
P.S. I'm afraid hf trade forums wouldn't help me as I'm from Russia.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 16
FA Eterna should be easy to get in russia. fun and bass-heavy too but overpowering, only if u are able to allow that. many would disagree with my comment that re2 is better than re0. re2 and klispch is good in their own ways. sound sig of re2 and re0 is almost identical. so i don think i need to confuse you more, s4 if u like bass. that's it. there could be kind people out there who are willing to post to russia but you need to be patient though in waiting for such opportunities. if long waits gonna cause you a lot of unease, grab one from authorized dealer straightaway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back