IEM's/Earbuds under $250 for a Treblehead
Feb 13, 2016 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JunkerGeorg

New Head-Fier
Just signed up after finding this incredible site via googling for earbuds/IEMS to go with a lower level Sony HiFi walkman (NWZ-A17) and encountering so many informative, detailed articles here. There is so much information here, that it's like getting lost in a forest. So please bear with my ignorance and perplexity and any inaccurate nomenclature I might use:

I'm looking for a pair of either IEM's or Earbuds to use with this Walkman. I need guidance. Looking to spend no more than $250 on a pair, or find a deal at that price on a used pair on eBay if I can. I've researched enough here to know that since I don't intend to use an amp they need to be efficient (below 50 ohms/above 90decibel sensitivity). As for my listening preferences, while I don't abhor bass as long as its tight, clear, and doesn't overtake the mids and highs, I'm pretty sure I'd be labeled a Treblehead here (e.g., if I had just a bass and treble setting on an amp for my Klipsch horn home speakers, I'd set Treble to about 9/10 and bass to about 5/10. I listen to all genres of music except for rap and country (though I do like Irish folk kind of stuff like the "Chieftains"). I do like classical, especially brass orientated pieces, organ (Saint Saens Symphony #3, Any Bach, etc.), Cello, acoustic guitar, etc. I ...and on the other end of the spectrum I do like Trance, Industrial Metal (Ministry, Static X), Nine Inch Nails, Volbeat, old U2, etc.

Perhaps that means I need a versatile IEM/Earbud product, but as I said, I'm a Treblehead first and foremost, and after researching your glossary of terms, I'd say applicable terms would be bright, sparkle, clear, detailed, lively--but not so that it is thin and lacks weight and spatial depth. I like tight bass for times when I listen to metal/industrial bands listed above, but not boomy bass that blots out mids and highs in the process. I recently tried some $150 Bose earbuds, and while I appreciated the voice clarity, and it had some depth, I couldn't stand how soft and dark the overall sound seemed to me, for lack of a better description. I want depth, but it has to be bright, lively depth for me, if that makes any sense?

So, after researching what I could here before getting totally lost in the forest of information here on this awesome website, can someone suggest some IEMs/Earbuds for $250 or less that would work for this Treblehead? Would an Etymotic ER-4P be what I'm looking for? Or an Audio Technica ATH-CKR9? Or a Yuin PK2? Or??? I'd rather get an experts take before blowing $250 on a pair if it isn't what suits my tastes.

Thanks much for any guidance you can give and thanks for all your helpful contributions on this incredible site!!!

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Much thanks for the suggestion. Reviews I'm now reading on it are glowing, especially given a $50 pricetag. One question though: Would I need to use an amp for those SM-E80's, given its specs list an Impedance level of 64±10%Ohms?

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 11
I haven't read your whole post, because I'm a slacker, but see if the Fidue A83 suits you. There's one in the Classifieds I just saw for $200.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 11
So far my list below of possibilities to consider. Note: I'd be preferably driving these without a separate amp, just using a Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 with has an output impedance figure of 24 Ohms (at 1 kHz).

Audio Technica: CKR9, IM02, CK100Pro
DUNU: Titan 1; DN-2000J
Fidue: A83
Fischer Audio: DBA-02 mkII
Sound and Magic: E80S

Why did I add the DUNU 2000J given it is well over my price range? Because of the glowing reviews of it I read on this site. (Special thanks to poster Earfonia.) Though I'm sure there are lots of other options not yet listed I could consider, I have to dive in at some point, so it may come down to hitting for a single (a model under $150 like SM E80S), or swinging for the fence (DUNU DN-2000J). One thing I'm pretty sure is gonna happen is I'm entering into what will be an addiction, of endlessly searching for the Holy Grail of HI-FI perfection. I know in my mind there is no perfect this side of Heaven. I just hope my heart remembers that lest I blow $1000's of dollars in search of perfection and at end up looking at a shoebox full of IEMs/Earbuds! Oi veh! What am I getting into?! :wink:

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 11
"Welcome to Head-fi. Sorry about your wallet."

:)

May 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 11
I would reccomend the Ckr9. They are basically the MSR7 on ears if you're familiar with those headphones. I would not get the LTD 90% are fake you can only find real ones in Japan.
Other than that:
Triplefi 10
-I know a guy who can give it to you cheap brand new with a replaced cable
FidueA83
Dunu 1000/2000
FC8ls
-I've seen this for around $240. The sound is customizable and on par with the best universals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back